Small ocean inlet capable boat

helpmhost

Recruit
Hi,

My wife and I are looking to get our first power boat. Our car only has 1500lbs towing capacity, so we are looking for something small.

We would like something that can site 4-6 people and is capable of being in the ocean. We live in Vancouver, BC, so the inlets around here are pretty small and the waves don't usually get too big. However, we have been out before and seen waves that might have been around 6 feet tall. We would usually try to avoid those days, but just in case, we'd like a boat that could handle that.

I'm not looking for a specific boat or brand recommendation. I'm really just looking for a type, size and engine size that I should look for. For example, a 14 foot bayrider with 40hp or whatever. I really don't know. I've been trying to research and have had a hard time finding definitive answers.

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

In my opinion; The ocean and 1500 pounds will not work, and would be hard to work for an inland lake and 6 people, 4 maybe. Your plan is to stay out of the heavy seas but the ocean can change from glass to rollers very quickly. Get it up to 3000 pounds and I can start looking

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think a 14' or 16' is big enough at all. I wouldn't go where you want to go in anythng smaller than an 18' with high sides. An 18' or 19' is fine for 4 people to be comfortable in. Even though an 18' or 19' boat may say it holds 6-9 people it would be very cramped.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
1500 lbs, 4 to 6 people for ocean use - that boat doesn't exist. You mention 6' waves (not 6' swell), for that in the ocean you want something in excess of 20'. You need to think way bigger and you will need a different tow vehicle.

helpmhost

Recruit
Thanks for the replies.

I should add that the purpose of the boat is really to get form point A to point B. We are going out to boat around, but instead just to get somewhere.

I said 6' waves, but meant swells.

How much does an 18-19 footer typically weigh?

If I get a boat trailer with brakes, apparently my car can do more like 3000lbs.

What engine size should I look for at a minimum?

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
The only thing that can come close to getting the job done would be an older 17' Whaler...

helpmhost

Recruit
One trip we would be doing quite often is about 10 miles one way. And the inlet is only about 400 yards wide at the widest point.

Other trips in the area would likely be about the same distance, but likely closer to shore.

alldodge

Staff member
With 10 miles off shore and 6 people I wouldn't do it with less then a 23 footer with high sides. Need to be able to move the boat at least 30 mph (take 20 minutes to cross in good water). If the weather turned bad and your 5 miles out it would take longer. A 23 foot Boston Whaler with an outboard would be a good choice, but then your in the 5K pounds.

briangcc

Commander
How much does an 18-19 footer typically weigh?

If I get a boat trailer with brakes, apparently my car can do more like 3000lbs.

The FourWinns in my signature was 3600lbs at 19'6". And that was boat and motor only. The Chap in my signature is 2600lbs at 19'4" - again, boat and motor only. Would need to account for battery, gas, safety gear, and trailer. Either of these is well over your 3000lbs mark once everything is taken into consideration. And I'd say either of these boats would be tight with 6 adults on board.

I've had my FourWinns out in 3' rollers and it wasn't fun. Doable, but nothing I ever wanted to repeat. Couldn't imagine 6' in that size boat.

You might want to look at aluminum boats as they'll be significantly lighter than the two fiberglass boats I own(ed) OR upgrade the tow vehicle.

Good luck with your search!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
4-6 people would be cramped in a 20ft boat which would work on water you are speaking of... 20ft boat and trailer will be in 4-6K pound towing range..

alldodge

Staff member
It's 10 miles along the shore. The furthest we would ever be from shore is 200 yards.

In that case, so long as your willing to run it into shore if things get ruff, you could do a 19 footer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You're not going to get there from here. Something has to change. Either your aspirations or your tow vehicle so that you can purchase a suitable boat.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I don't normally push the Whaler agenda...But a 1980-1900's 17-18' is the best match for your needs. They can be had for reasonable $$ and will easily do what you need..

Alumarine

Captain
It's 10 miles along the shore. The furthest we would ever be from shore is 200 yards.

But is the shore easy to land on in calm weather never mind if the weather turns bad?
Cliffs, rocks and reefs aren't the best to head to.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The only way you'll find a boat in your weight range that seats 4-6, is in aluminum. My car had a 1500 lb tow capacity, too. After lookinh hard and long, I found a 16' Sylvan fish 'n ski, 90 hp Yamaha and trailer. Hull weighed 900, motor about 300 and trailer about 550. Right off the bat it was a little overweight but the car (Mitsubishi Outlander FWD) handled it fine. Would not have wanted to push the specs any farther, tho.

For reference, the hull weight of the 16' aluminum Sylvan is virtually the same as that of a 13' fiberglass Whaler. As for ocean or inlet running, I would not have tried that in the Sylvan.

My .02

helpmhost

Recruit
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep it all in mind and hopefully will eventually find one of those boats that could work.