1983 17ft Marlin Rally w/mercruiser 470 (170 hp)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
If you are able to....I'd be inclined to change the engine out.
It would be a shame to have spent all that work on a lovely boat....only to be let down by the engine. Which is almost a certainty, I'm afraid.
Others will no doubt be along shortly to argue the point that these engines are great with a bit of tlc and certain practices...for me and most others, it's all about enjoyment...not the constant fixing and worrying.
All the best !

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
"When you reinstalled the out drive was the controller in forward and did the shift shoe line up with the male part on the outdrive."

It was, and the shoe is/does line/d up. The (shoe and male part) move as one when shifting...

My son and I fooled with it yesterday, and when we disconnected the lower [shift] cable from the shifting mechanism (sorry for lack of proper term here) at the back of the engine; and actuated it by hand, the prop would go into all three gear modes (i.e., Forward, Neutral, Reverse). But when reconnected so that it is actuated with the shift control, there didn't appear to be sufficient travel to make reverse happen...but would still go in/out of forward and neutral. I'll try pulling the entire outdrive, and do as you suggest. That way at least, I can see if the rotational distance is the same both directions...

mr 88

Commander
You may want to goggle or you tube mercruiser type 1 or alpha outdrive /shift cable installation or words to the effect, probably a few videos on correct ways to adjust shift cable

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
For anyone interested, I did find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_tgevX2aI

I think the author may even be a member here... The brass barrel on my lower cable appears to be the later 'non-adjustable' version, which is a bit disappointing. Not certain the reason for doing that, but it pretty much insures you have to purchase a new cable (planned obsolescence maybe?), or modify and take chances (if any).

-Vern

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
With the shift control in the forward position; I dropped the lower unit down about 1/2 to 1 inch, and used the foot to shift it through forward, neutral and reverse. All three worked fine (prop knuckles in or spins free appropriately), so I re-aligned the foot and shoe, then buttoned it all up again. I guess I'll replace the lower shift cable, then go through the adjustment procedure and hope that cures the problem.

-V.

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for such a long quiet period. New seats, vinyl and beading finally arrived for this project. As I mentioned before, I'm also building a second boat. So resources have been spread a bit thin... But I have this girl under cover and well protected from the elements (such as they are here - mostly sun!) I'll post more progress if anyone's interested.

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Built a teak bench seat of sorts for the back of the boat. Idea here is, climb up the swim step, sit on the back to drip dry a bit before soaking the rest of the interior. At the time of this photo, I was simply test fitting. Those bronze pins sticking out the aft, have been trimmed off, and as soon as I can remember what I did with the hinge halves; will get it mounted up.

https://imgur.com/a/RNNn3Yr