1983 17ft Marlin Rally w/mercruiser 470 (170 hp)

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I just joined, and see there are a number of prior posts regarding Marlin boats. I now have one that, well, came with the trailer... It was left to languish in a farmer's field for the last 26 (give or take) years. Amazingly, all systems appear functional, even though it was not under cover.

I picked up this little gem, free for the taking; my only interest being the trailer... (Unfortunately?) my wife took one look at the boat, and said "poor thing!" and began cleaning, and polishing (with a vengeance I might add). No hope of saving the upholstery, as the elements have taken their toll. Even the plywood frames will need to be replaced. But the engine runs, and I've commissioned a mechanic to rebuild the out-drive/lower unit. I was surprised to see the amount of Teak that was originally part of the interior. This was a really nice boat once.

Does anyone here know the history of the Marlin Boat Company of Seattle WA? I'd love to know more... I'll post links to some before/during/after photos if anyone is interested.

I really don't know why we're doing this...we just recently rid ourselves of one hole in the water, only it seems, to have another. At least we don't have to pay moorage for this one!

Thanks in Advance
-Vern
Kennewick, WA.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Expect much more work on the inside then just the plywood seat frames, a lot more.... unfortunately 26yrs uncovered in a field is never easy on a boats below decks structure

Post some pix when you can

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Expect much more work on the inside then just the plywood seat frames, a lot more.... unfortunately 26yrs uncovered in a field is never easy on a boats below decks structure

Post some pix when you can

jb,

Thanks for your input.

As a long time wood boat owner, what I've learned to expect, is the unexpected. But the deck on this boat is solid (I've checked it over extremely well). Whilst it sat out for a good number of years, it did so in Eastern Washington; which is very arid compared to the West side ( of the Cascade range ). The Cascades provide a most efficient barrier to coastal moisture (rain shadow). Average relative humidity is around 30%, with annual precip just a few inches. Anything exposed to the summer sun and high temps (100+ degrees F) however, is a different story... Lots of faded paint, etc.

Since photobucket decided to change things, here's a couple of links to flikr instead for 'before' photos...

20170603_154457_small

20170603_155016_small

-Vern
Kennewick, WA.

Last edited:

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
The last couple of photos followed a test run of the engine. Fresh water for cooling, was provided via garden hose... I'm happy to report, that the engine purrs like the proverbial kitten.

-Vern
Kennewick, WA.

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone here know the history of the Marlin Boat Company of White City, OR? I'd love to know more... ?

Thanks,
-Vern

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Nice progress revealing what appears to be a solid boat :) Must have been an insect and critter free environment for the most part too. So,by the looks of your documentation you must have done some of this before ;)

I invite you to participate in the Dockside Chat topic area and share some priors :thumb:

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Nice progress revealing what appears to be a solid boat :) Must have been an insect and critter free environment for the most part too. So,by the looks of your documentation you must have done some of this before ;)

I invite you to participate in the Dockside Chat topic area and share some priors :thumb:

Thanks for the invite! I will certainly do that. My wife and I had a Grand Banks 32 for approximately 20 years, and enjoyed every minute. Prior to that, I had a couple of smaller runabouts (mostly wood like the 1956 JayCraft with an old Mercury EE). I'm currently also building a 17' all wood Pacific Dory (Tillamook)
smile.gif

-Vern

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Wow, that thing really cleaned up well. Everything seem solid?

It does indeed! I was pretty surprised that it has survived so well. The hull paint is mostly faded due to sun, but other than that it's in great shape. My wife ordered replacement seats (cheaper to buy new than reupholster), so the interior won't be the same...oh well. My original intention was to scavenge what I could for the wood boat, then have the scrap man haul away the rest!
lol.gif
As mentioned, my only interest was the trailer.

-Vern

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
...thanks ever so much photobucket... I'm going to try another photo viewer site before posting any additional photos. We nearly have this boat operational. Just waiting on the mechanic to finish rebuilding the lower unit for the outdrive.

-Vern

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
At the suggestion of someone on another boat forum, I'm trying Flickr... Here are some latest update photos of the '83 Marlin Rally (non-faithful) 'restoration'.

New plywood for the interior side panels:

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
The old panels are on the left, with the newly cut out formers on the right. The plastic frame that holds the glovebox door has been stripped and repainted...You can see it perched just above and behind the side panels.

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
We've placed the old seats back in place, just to have something to sit on until the new ones arrive. New ones are on back-order :grumpy: and won't arrive until sometime in August...

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone here know the history of the Marlin Boat Company of Seattle WA? I'd love to know more... ?

Thanks,
-Vern

Ok, scratch that. Turns out this boat was built by the OTHER Marlin Boat Company...in White City Oregon. Says so right on the capacity tag next to the shifter/throttle. Not sure where I got the idea it was built in Seattle, but should have checked my facts before posting... Sorry about that! :redface:

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
Well, it's mostly ready for a float test...Only issue remaining is while testing (on a garden hose in the driveway), the whole affair won't go into reverse when shifted accordingly. Forward and neutral work fine, but... The motor dies the instant the shift lever is pulled back. After considerable web research, that this was a common problem. But with only 105 hrs, I'm skeptical that it is the cable and not something I did during re-assembly of the out drive...:confused: I pulled the lower shift cable loose (at the engine end), and can shift it into reverse (motor NOT running, assistant turning the prop...), without much problem. I also tried adjusting the cable, but no luck. As soon as it's all hooked up again, no love...

Because the boat came to me without the lower unit, and the upper gearbox was also removed (prior to fitting the lower unit), is there a way that one can verify the shift shaft isn't 'one spline off' without tearing everything apart again? I'm trying to avoid purchasing a cable kit if it's not the problem... Any ideas? Again, this is a 1982 170 hp mercruiser 470.

Thanks,
-Vern

Last edited:

EclecticNeophyte

Seaman Apprentice
btw, when I shift the lower cable manually, then hold the cable end next to the lever pin (also in reverse position), the hole in the plastic end of the cable is only about 1/4 to 3/8" off. But there's no more adjustment available to make up the difference... The distance between the hole and the barrel is about 6 3/16". a bit strange given the fact that the barrel seems clamped or locked and won't turn to adjust...(Sealoc manual - if I'm reading it correctly - says it's supposed to be 6" exactly).

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
When you reinstalled the out drive was the controller in forward and did the shift shoe line up with the male part on the outdrive. Usually they wont go together unless lined up but I have seen them forced together, What I would do is take the out drive off and move the shifter on the outdrive from one position to another to see if the prop is locking up with the shifter all the way in one direction and then the other . It [ prop ] will ratchet in one direction and not move in the other if it is engaging properly. If it is engaging then try moving the controller without the outdrive on and see what kind of movement you get.