1990 18 ft. Bayliner Capri Bow Rider 135 hp V6 Mercury Black Max Outboard Motor

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to go and look at this boat today. I have heard many people slam the 2.3L inboard engines on these boats for being underpowered, but at 128hp for the 2.3 they seem very close. Will the Black Max be underpowered as well or is it different with an outboard?

briangcc

Commander
My '99 Bayliner 1800LS was originally powered with a 120HP Force. The boat was 17'6" and I did around 50MPH on the water. Similar performance when I repowered with the 115HP Honda. I would think a slightly larger boat with more power would perform similarly - you're not that far off from what I had and I was able to have a full boat AND tube behind it. Never tried a skier.

​So in my not so professional opinion, I think you'll be happy with the performance.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
A bigger concern will be if the 27 yr old Bayliner boat has any rot. Bayliner went through a period of shoddy work and there are lots of threads on this site about rotten transoms and stringers. In fact, any boat that age should be looked at very carefully. Look any place and every place for any soft wood.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Absolutely. I have read a lot about the 80's build quality on the Bayliners and will do a thorough inspection, but I have stopped looking at 2.3's altogether. This was because the one I tested out on the water had no power. I was going to avoid this one as well if the power was the same.

southkogs

Staff member
I've been impressed with the Bayliner that I have. I didn't ever expect to own one, but really couldn't pass it up (family boat, knew it, got it for nuthin'). It's about 19' long with 135HP (Merc 3.0) and will run around 40MPH with a full load (5 adults on board) flat out.

You have to watch 'em for condition, some of the models have a bad rep for a reason. But if they're in good shape, there's no reason that they can't be a good boat.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This one has a galvanized trailer too. I am anxious to go and check it out. Waiting for an email back for a time to come.

briangcc

Commander
I was going to say my '99 Bayliner had (0) hull issues in the time I owned it since new. Only issue I had was with the POS 120HP Force which I replaced with a 115HP Honda in 2000. After that, trouble free ownership.

My '05 Four Winns on the other hand had a void in one of the transom tie downs and then later developed a spider crack near the windshield. Had multiple issues right after delivery and later down the road. The more expensive boat had more hull issues out of the gate than the cheaper Bayliner.

I'm not so convinced the Bayliner name plate is the issue - some of it is the owner who bought them neglecting them. Remember these boats are targeted as entry level, first boat owners. Yes they've earned the reputation in the early '80's but a lot of that was resolved by the time I got mine. They have come a long way since the boats that were parked outside K-Mart for sale (yes they did this locally).

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We don't live too far away (Selkirk in Haldimand County) and have friends in Waterford. The boys and I have been buying and flipping boats here as a hobby for 5 years now. That's at the very top of the price range for a 90' glass boat of that size, especially for that era Bayliner. But Brain makes a fantastic point about Bayliners being entry level boats. I looked at a 89' with the L drive Force, it was only 11K brand new. Most of those new owners knew nothing abought caring for and maintaining a boat, I know I didn't have a clue and probably would have destroyed it. They all can look great on the outside and are generally rotten below it's skin, it's 28 years old. I would look very close at it. In fact if the owner is serious have him take it to Proctor's Marine on hwy 3 in Simcoe and have John or 1 of his guys look at it, they will tell you exactly what is wrong and what it's worth for $100.00. I would be more than happy to split it with him, if he declines run away, fast.

edit: in fact if you can bring it to us we will do the same thing for you if Proctors is busy. West of Dunnville on Rainham Rd. reg.rd.#3. Take your time shopping, I bet there isn't a line up of people interested at that price.

Last edited:

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We don't live too far away (Selkirk in Haldimand County) and have friends in Waterford. The boys and I have been buying and flipping boats here as a hobby for 5 years now. That's at the very top of the price range for a 90' glass boat of that size, especially for that era Bayliner. But Brain makes a fantastic point about Bayliners being entry level boats. I looked at a 89' with the L drive Force, it was only 11K brand new. Most of those new owners knew nothing abought caring for and maintaining a boat, I know I didn't have a clue and probably would have destroyed it. They all can look great on the outside and are generally rotten below it's skin, it's 28 years old. I would look very close at it. In fact if the owner is serious have him take it to Proctor's Marine on hwy 3 in Simcoe and have John or 1 of his guys look at it, they will tell you exactly what is wrong and what it's worth for $100.00. I would be more than happy to split it with him, if he declines run away, fast.

Do you know anything for sale right now that I should be looking at?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I haven't looked at Kijiji lately but there sure were many for sale this spring. The guys at the shop have a few glass boats but haven't touched them yet. It all depends on what suits you as far as size and style. There may be something for you but it won't be right away. I edited the post I made. PM me if you wish.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't looked at Kijiji lately but there sure were many for sale this spring. The guys at the shop have a few glass boats but haven't touched them yet. It all depends on what suits you as far as size and style. There may be something for you but it won't be right away. I edited the post I made. PM me if you wish.

Sent you PM. Thanks.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I haven't looked at Kijiji for a while but there sure were plenty for sale this spring. There are a few boats at the building that you may be interested in but they haven't been touched yet and it will be a while before they are in line unless there is something you might be interested in. I can't think of anything right now that size. Most are bigger boats. The 20 foot or less aluminums are the ones people around here want. Most often once a glass boat is rebuilt there isn't any meat left on the bone if any to make it worth while. PM me, this isn't a classified forum.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For some reason having a problem sending messages here. I will PM you latter or tomorrow. We are heading to Hamilton to see my 90 year old Dad.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the guy the whole weekend to reply to me and he said sorry he was busy but to text/call him. I texted him only to have him reply "sold"... What a ****. Anyway, the search continues.