L. Allen

Recruit
I just picked up a Dorsett needs minor restoration and a motor

Anyone know anything about these

Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

Cool lookin' boat. Dorset made some nice looking stuff and had a eye on design. Can't say they were or weren't the best boats ever made, but the Catalina is a "bucket list" boat for me.

L. Allen

Recruit
Actually I won't be working on this one for about a year although I would like to know what is its value after restoring back to like new

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Actually I won't be working on this one for about a year although I would like to know what is its value after restoring back to like new

Not as much as you think and will probably cost more to restore it than you get out of it unless you find the right motivated buyer. Like southkogs. :wink:

Very few boats are like classic cars and motor cycles.

southkogs

Staff member
GA's right. Unfortunately, boats just don't generate that kind of value. The odd one here or there does, but for the most part ya' gotta' do it 'cuz ya' wanna'. Not too much value beyond that.

jbcurt00

Staff member
GA's right. Unfortunately, boats just don't generate that kind of value. The odd one here or there does, but for the most part ya' gotta' do it 'cuz ya' wanna'. Not too much value beyond that.

I'll add that a complete overhaul does yield a better built (often better then originally) boat then you could buy used for the same amount spent on the rehab.

Even 5-10K used boats are sometimes hiding unknown damage from water intrusion. Some sellers dont know there could be a problem, others knowingly hide the damage and sell the boat to unsuspecting novice buyers......

Plus a Belmont Sport is certainly not your usual, near carbon copy of other cuddy sport boats you'd see at your local marina. Doesnt make it particularly valuable though.