Adding swim platform on existing ladder

Anthonym2

Seaman
Hello All

I have an older 17 ft boat with a small ladder on the back. It's pretty tuff for me to get up and onto the boat, however for my wife who has knee issues and others, its pretty impossible.
I think a small platform, just some place to sit your bottom down and turn around would make all the difference.

Any recommendations? Im handy, i was thinking about attaching a piece of teak to the existing ladder....anyone done anything like this?
Maybe its just easier to take the old on off and get a new one?

Pic to follow...

Thanks!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
They are a pain for us older folk or anyone with knee problems etc. As soon as you step on the ladder it moves towards the transom so you can't use the big muscles in the legs to get up the ladder. If your boarding ladder is like mine that's the problem. Maybe you can simply add supports so the ladder can't fold in towards the transom. And they are usually too short. And your ladder only has 2 rungs, that's a problem I see too. My knees don't get much past 90 degrees these days to make the first rung. Am I making any sence?

The link posted by ezmobee looks to be a great solution but with a not so great price. It's boat related you know so automatically add more money.

Anthony, depending on your skills you may be able to copy it.

Anthonym2

Seaman
As always...thanks for the responses. I think im going to try and change the ladder angle(as was mentioned), and add a small platform. Im also nervous about taking the old ladder off a 35 year old boat and trying to install something new....