keep or sell?

briangcc

Commander
Just putting this out there...I had a few minor issues that needed to be addressed with my new boat. Dropped it off on a Monday with a punch list of items. Got a call on Friday (5 days elapsed) that it was ready for pickup. That was the only call I received. First time I've dealt with this particular marina. Previous boat at a different marina I had service the boat since new I think the max I had it tied up was 3 weeks for some gel coat repairs. With this marina, I would get calls on status, authorization for repairs, estimates, and recommended services for something I hadn't covered. From my personal experience, and that it's prime boating season, your experience doesn't seem out of line...even the having to call part.

But reading between the lines it appears this boat isn't to your liking any longer and you're finding reasons to offload it in favor of something else that is used. Be aware with used boats you have the potential of inheriting a much larger issue...along with a payment.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
FWIW,
I just can't believe how some shops don't take care of business. I'm in line with fixing this boat if the hull and motor are solid. You are way ahead if you have the time and experience to do the work yourself. I wouldn't let that shop touch my boat, period!

well. as for the engine being solid, runs great, BUT leaks oil - and I think in order to fix any oil leak, engine will have to be removed - so we are at 2k no matter what, even for a 5$ seal

thought hull was great, but see link, has a crack on bottom and I think water is getting in that way :( maybe not, have to have it looked at

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
From what I read you probably paid for that boat what it was worth. Also sounds like you are trying to get someone to advise you get a new to you boat. Go ahead buy a newer boat. I don't know how 200 bucks a month will impact your current budget .5%, 1%, 3%, 5%? Only you know that number and must make that call.

can I afford 200/month? easy. I could buy a boat for 15-20k cash if I wanted to - but I want to keep that cash around if needed
I also don't want to make the wrong decision, and most boats in that 15-20 range, are the exact same boat I have now, just cleaner and newer - nothing extra added - so that is hard to swallow.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just putting this out there...I had a few minor issues that needed to be addressed with my new boat. Dropped it off on a Monday with a punch list of items. Got a call on Friday (5 days elapsed) that it was ready for pickup. That was the only call I received. First time I've dealt with this particular marina. Previous boat at a different marina I had service the boat since new I think the max I had it tied up was 3 weeks for some gel coat repairs. With this marina, I would get calls on status, authorization for repairs, estimates, and recommended services for something I hadn't covered. From my personal experience, and that it's prime boating season, your experience doesn't seem out of line...even the having to call part.

But reading between the lines it appears this boat isn't to your liking any longer and you're finding reasons to offload it in favor of something else that is used. Be aware with used boats you have the potential of inheriting a much larger issue...along with a payment.

I don't know, your marina experiences seem much more favorable.
mine went 3 weeks waiting for appointment, then dropped off ,4 days and not even looked at it. I know their busy, but they should have a different system, like call me and i'll drop off when your ready for it? I don't know.

that is a concern, buying a boat with a bad engine.
is it safter to buy used from a dealer/marina

jkust

Rear Admiral
can I afford 200/month? easy. I could buy a boat for 15-20k cash if I wanted to - but I want to keep that cash around if needed
I also don't want to make the wrong decision, and most boats in that 15-20 range, are the exact same boat I have now, just cleaner and newer - nothing extra added - so that is hard to swallow.

Don't succumb to analysis paralysis. You are making an argument why you can afford it and you can't afford it at the same time. Of course the boats on the market will be newer, cleaner, etc...they are boats...not much changes. Either you have your financial ducks in a row or you don't. Once that is decided, assuming it is yes, then go buy a a boat. Everything in life has risk....accept it, go get yourself a boat and enjoy. You sound like you are dithering.

briangcc

Commander
I don't know, your marina experiences seem much more favorable.
mine went 3 weeks waiting for appointment, then dropped off ,4 days and not even looked at it. I know their busy, but they should have a different system, like call me and i'll drop off when your ready for it? I don't know.

that is a concern, buying a boat with a bad engine.
is it safter to buy used from a dealer/marina

Both my Bayliner and Four Winns selling marinas left a lot to be desired. I have harsher words for them but I'll keep it clean. And we won't even get into the last rounds I had with marinas while I was on vacation - it's called "river time" for a reason...

Bayliner - about 4 years in a bearing in the trailer went. I took it to the marina to have it looked at as the boat needed to be winterized as well and I had them shrink it as part of the process. Turns out the bearing chewed up the axle and it needed to be replaced. OK. They shrink wrapped the boat and then worked on the trailer. When the repairs were complete the service manager called me to see if he could cut a hole in the shrink and toss my wheel lock key inside for safe keeping. I asked him what was I to do if I had a flat on the way home - 30 min away? Was I to cut the shrink open? I think not. Last time they serviced my boat.

Four Winns - guys couldn't figure out why my boat was taking on water when only months old. Enough that the bilge pump ran when I retrieved the boat and water came out of the drain plug for a minute. This after an hour of run time on the water. They said it was normal. Took it to another marina an hour away and they found that the exhaust bellows were not tight which was letting water in. Selling marina at one point carried (3) brands - they're down to (1) off brand now (non-Four Winns) and from all appearances are struggling to stay afloat (pun intended). If anyone else's experience with them was like mine, it doesn't surprise me they're in a world of hurt.

Jury is still out on the Chap marina but they turned it around quick enough considering it's busy season. Still upsetting that a brand new boat had to go back in for repairs but it was under warranty and didn't cost me a dime out of pocket. Had a faulty down solenoid for the trim and a couple screws loose on one of the storage doors.

As to safer to buy from a dealer/marina...not so sure on that unless it's new.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't succumb to analysis paralysis. You are making an argument why you can afford it and you can't afford it at the same time. Of course the boats on the market will be newer, cleaner, etc...they are boats...not much changes. Either you have your financial ducks in a row or you don't. Once that is decided, assuming it is yes, then go buy a a boat. Everything in life has risk....accept it, go get yourself a boat and enjoy. You sound like you are dithering.

you make a great point - I have that problem. I'm tight with my money, never had it growing up and work hard for it. could I buy a 20k boat cash, yes. but do I want to? meh. I like my money more. also is it the right move? I got to where I am in life by making cautious, reposnible decions and I don't want to break that

thanks for the input

Old Ironmaker

Captain
This the same boat with the crack that may or may not be leaking? I think may of us grew up in the same "boat" ha, you did. We come by money the old fashioned way, we earn it. I didn't buy my 1st boat until I was 56. Went halves on a 12 foot tinny 30 years ago and was given a inflatable once. It wasn't the being able to afford a toy it was being able to keep it floating. I would say it costs me an average of $200.00 a month to maintain a 19 foot tinner and fuel it and I do 90% of my servicing and barter work for the rest.. Add that to the 200 Samolians you said you could easily afford earlier.

How about a few pics of the boat.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
wow. that's pretty darn pricey for maintenance - and gas - 2400 a year.
my 4.3 is somehow great on gas.

I could get pics.

yes this is the crack boat.

so! I'm keeping the boat.
the shop, although dindt report it, fixed the throttle - that was a nightmare as I wan'st able to go slow for the first 30 min - big win for me. no longer have to tell others, sit down, I have to floor it or it will stall - imagine hearing that when going out on a buddies boat :)

I'm an idiot and never knew there was such a "magical' material that absorbs oil but repels water - outstanding.
I'm going to throw in the bilge roller - the oil the engine leaks is very very minor (I've been out 4 times and oil level has yet to drop)
I do need to get my water leak on my trim pump fixed before the pump goes - that container is mustard yellow
and I'm going to have a fiber glass collision repair investigate my crack (maybe insurance can cover this?) if its a reasonable fix, then im' keeping the boat
:)

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Im a little biased given that I own a similar boat. My boat is a Spectum Pro Avenger 19.6 with the 4.3 Ive donated some serious time to my interior. But I shopped for a couple of years and decided I like to be able to run over 50 MPH theres not many 19 to 21 foot v6 powered boats this deep that will run 50 MPH. You move into a fiberglass boat youll need a V8 to match its performance and youll go from a $40 gas bill to a $90 a day gas bill when your skiing or running over 40 MPH most of the day. And more things break on higher HP boats. For a fact. Next they handle big waves and can pull any skier with a load of people on board and be trolling for salmon the same day. Mind you im shopping for a 26 to 28 foot CC ocean goer right now. I am not selling my Spectrum though. These are things to concider when your comparing to a newer boat.

Id get your oil leak looked at there are two oil sending units that do fail and leak oil that are simple to fix. Start here if its ugly then factor that in. A rear main or oil pan can be a chore.

As far as the trim have you flushed it until its clear fluid and checked to see how fast it gets milky again. I flush mine twice a year you can do so with a turkey baster I have a vacumm oil remover cost me about $10 a year to do this it is most likely taking on water from the actual rams? But keep the fluid clear and youll probably get a few more years before addressing it.

Clanking on turns? mine has this faint knock at idle on turns the outdrive shaft splines need a thick grease when the grease is gone or another cause the engines slightly out of alignment the shafts under pressure. Pulling the outdrive greasing the splines may fix it or help. Mine needs it every three or four years. I get grease from a buddy who works for the train its some kind of sticky and thick. If the outdrive does not go back in extreemly smooth the engine may need adjustment theres a proceedure and it can be done without the fake shaft if you are patient. I think about a U joint in the outdrive however id think it would make the noise when trimmed up going straight?

Interior can be hefty chore. I have photos of my boat gutted to the Skelton. Not a task for the meek. However if your flooring and consoles are still sound seats can revive a boat like yours pretty easily.

The 4.3 from this year can be a very reliable power plant not saying they dont have issues. I know of many of them in the S10 and Astro vans with 350K on the clock.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
$2400.00 a year for maintenance (shrink wrap, parts, fluids) and fuel isn't much at all and we only boat less than 6 months a year. It's good for how many miles in a day I run. It's 12 miles 1 way to our prime fishing spot, 15 miles from the slip to our place on the lake, one perch hole is 27 miles one way alone. A full tank of gas is over $200.00. Forgot to mention it's in Canadian funds and gas up here is 6 bucks a gallon. If you are going to run a glass boat at 50MPH it won't take long to get to 100 buck per day for gas. 15 years ago buddy was paying over 100 bucks a day to pull around his kids on tubes etc. all day. Like many here say "don't do the math".

I'm happy for you that you made a decision. 3 threads for the same question isn't really needed or recommended here. You won't get the best responses. I'm surprised the Mods didn't delete a few.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im a little biased given that I own a similar boat. My boat is a Spectum Pro Avenger 19.6 with the 4.3 Ive donated some serious time to my interior. But I shopped for a couple of years and decided I like to be able to run over 50 MPH theres not many 19 to 21 foot v6 powered boats this deep that will run 50 MPH. You move into a fiberglass boat youll need a V8 to match its performance and youll go from a $40 gas bill to a $90 a day gas bill when your skiing or running over 40 MPH most of the day. And more things break on higher HP boats. For a fact. Next they handle big waves and can pull any skier with a load of people on board and be trolling for salmon the same day. Mind you im shopping for a 26 to 28 foot CC ocean goer right now. I am not selling my Spectrum though. These are things to concider when your comparing to a newer boat.

Id get your oil leak looked at there are two oil sending units that do fail and leak oil that are simple to fix. Start here if its ugly then factor that in. A rear main or oil pan can be a chore.

As far as the trim have you flushed it until its clear fluid and checked to see how fast it gets milky again. I flush mine twice a year you can do so with a turkey baster I have a vacumm oil remover cost me about $10 a year to do this it is most likely taking on water from the actual rams? But keep the fluid clear and youll probably get a few more years before addressing it.

Clanking on turns? mine has this faint knock at idle on turns the outdrive shaft splines need a thick grease when the grease is gone or another cause the engines slightly out of alignment the shafts under pressure. Pulling the outdrive greasing the splines may fix it or help. Mine needs it every three or four years. I get grease from a buddy who works for the train its some kind of sticky and thick. If the outdrive does not go back in extreemly smooth the engine may need adjustment theres a proceedure and it can be done without the fake shaft if you are patient. I think about a U joint in the outdrive however id think it would make the noise when trimmed up going straight?

Interior can be hefty chore. I have photos of my boat gutted to the Skelton. Not a task for the meek. However if your flooring and consoles are still sound seats can revive a boat like yours pretty easily.

The 4.3 from this year can be a very reliable power plant not saying they dont have issues. I know of many of them in the S10 and Astro vans with 350K on the clock.

lowlysubaruguy
thanks for all of this info, its very helpful

Any info on what these "sending units" look like? or I could lookup?
I've had it inspected, they were not able to find the leak and recommended pulling the engine(1700 in labor) to help find the leak
the leak is so small im' pretty close to saying f-it and just use the bilge oil roll to keep it clean or suck it up

I have flushed the trim resivoir - it turned mustard super quick, like as soon as I took the boat out a time or two (forgot to check right after, but it might have returned immediately) - what are the rams? I would think the most likely cause is the braided cables - as they flex all the time and start to splinter - I've looked for air leaks. I think maybe I can swim next to the outdrive, have the wife move it up and down and see if I can see a bubble - so if I ride this way for a while w/ the mustard, I'm assuming its going to kill my trim pump right?

yea boat only makes the clank, or vibration, slow speeds, heavy turns - and the dam thing never did this until a joker took my engine out to "fix" and oil leak :( - I don't thinki'm going to take the drive out, its above my expertise

my only complaint about the interior (its a little dingy but that's ok) is one major rip in a seat, I'm researching how to fix or patch currently.

your response was very helpful, thank you

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
$2400.00 a year for maintenance (shrink wrap, parts, fluids) and fuel isn't much at all and we only boat less than 6 months a year. It's good for how many miles in a day I run. It's 12 miles 1 way to our prime fishing spot, 15 miles from the slip to our place on the lake, one perch hole is 27 miles one way alone. A full tank of gas is over $200.00. Forgot to mention it's in Canadian funds and gas up here is 6 bucks a gallon. If you are going to run a glass boat at 50MPH it won't take long to get to 100 buck per day for gas. 15 years ago buddy was paying over 100 bucks a day to pull around his kids on tubes etc. all day. Like many here say "don't do the math".

I'm happy for you that you made a decision. 3 threads for the same question isn't really needed or recommended here. You won't get the best responses. I'm surprised the Mods didn't delete a few.

each thread was a different topic - keep or sell - then asking for expert advise on a crack
I'm not going to hide the crack question in a keep or sell topic , I watned experts or someone w/ that experience or had that crack, to say oh look and click on that link

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how good (or bad) a boat you will be satisfied with. Obviously, you got a good deal (spelled cheap) on the boat when you bought it. And also obvious that the PO took poor care of it. In my past experience with other friends in a similar situation, every time they dropped a grand (or 2) into the boat and it ran perfect, a week later something else broke and then another grand. With that poor of a maintenance, even though it runs great now, it just could be a disaster waiting.

You asked for opinions - if it were me I would trade it in to a dealer (then no private person can come back and complain) and buy a warrantied boat. But that's just me. The only used clunkers I ever bought were rebuilt and repowered by me and are now pristine showboats. And I have the trophys to prove it.

jkust

Rear Admiral
you make a great point - I have that problem. I'm tight with my money, never had it growing up and work hard for it. could I buy a 20k boat cash, yes. but do I want to? meh. I like my money more. also is it the right move? I got to where I am in life by making cautious, reposnible decions and I don't want to break that

thanks for the input

To some extent, I do the research but try not to get paralyzed by it, get my baseline and get moving on buying. I get where you are coming from...just because you can doesn't mean that you do.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
the analysis by paralis is real

I'm going to KEEP the boat. I don't have a payment. and in Norhtner Michigan, I can't use it much of the year so that factors the cost.
this is, assuming the crack is not structural - waiting for my appointment slot (if just gel coat, only 400$)
the marina fixed the throttle - but never reported it and I got it for free, so big win there (I knew it was just an adjustment)
it leaks a little oil, i''l deal with the bilge sock

then I only need to pursue the water in the trim fluid, and possibly the knocking, vibration when I turn all the way