How Easy Is It to Change a Bilge Pump

Garyfdny

Recruit
I have a 2003 Crownline and i have a non-functioning aft Bilge pump and was wondering how easy or difficult it is to change out and suggestions for where do find a good priced replacement

Thanks

Alumarine

Captain
Depends on what kind of access you have.
On my boats easy. On one of my friends not even sure it's possible.

Can you see it?
Iboats sells them.

Oh, and welcome!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on where it is.

I have owned boats where the bilge pump is directly under the motor requiring the motor to be removed. my current one is in front of god and country and would take me 3-4 minutes to change, including wiring

the process would be something similar to this
  • find pump
  • remove portions of boat to get to pump if needed
  • unsnap old pump from base
  • unscrew base
  • disconnect wiring
  • disconnect dischange hose
  • install new pump base (sealing holes with 3M 4200 or 5200)
  • wire new pump
  • snap new pump on base
  • connect discharge hose
  • replace portions of boat you removed prior
  • go boating

robert graham

Admiral
Walmart carries bilge pumps.....they can be aggravating to get at in some boats due to their location in the bilge area...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
How about buying your new pump right here on IBOATS. They provide us this fine forum at no cost. Patronize them. But before you install a new pump only to find it does not work either, why not troubleshoot and ensure it is the pump that's bad and not the switch, float switch, fuse, or wiring that's the problem.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Sometimes you just retire the old one in place... cut the hose at a convenient place , splice in new hose and put a new pump in where its convenient for you.

Depends on the boat of course.... because you do want to get the pump as low in the bilge as possible and sometimes the only correct place for one is in that obnoxious spot that almost make you pull the engine to access the pump.