Help with Electronic Speed Sensor

510man

Cadet
I have a 2002 Splendor Platinum 240 with a Mercruiser 260 Bravo 3 That's likely irrelevant to my problem but many people want that info to help troubleshoot.

My speedo quit. I believe the sensor may be bad. Attached is a pic of the type sensor I have. This is the only pic of this unit I've been able to find. Thus far, I've not been able to identify the brand or find a place to buy another one.

Three questions:
1) What brand sensor and/or model number is this?
2) How do I test it?
3) Where do I buy another one if it tests bad?

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Attachments

• photo266191.JPG
    photo266191.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 Splendor Platinum 240 with a Mercruiser 260 Bravo 3 That's likely irrelevant to my problem but many people want that info to help troubleshoot.

My speedo quit. I believe the sensor may be bad. Attached is a pic of the type sensor I have. This is the only pic of this unit I've been able to find. Thus far, I've not been able to identify the brand or find a place to buy another one.

Three questions:
1) What brand sensor and/or model number is this?
2) How do I test it?
3) Where do I buy another one if it tests bad?

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

What you have in the picture is a transducer for either sonar or a fish finder, is there anything else mounted to the transom? Most GPS speedos have everything built into the speedo, do you have power going to the speedo, is the ground for the speedo good? By chance is there what looks like a vacuum line hooked to the back of the speedo? Check these thing first and let us know.

510man

Cadet
Going to the boat today and will check a few things. There is a depth gauge onbaord so maybe this is the sensor. nothing esle like this on the transom. No fishfinder onbaord. Never has been. The speedo may work through the sterndrive.

Alumarine

Captain
If there is as hemi rt asked a tube that goes to the back of the speedometer then that tube will run to either the driver or a pitot sensor on the stern.