First Boat

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good day to the group here, this is my first post. I have started looking at boats in the last month and started researching and ended up here. Right now I am getting serious about an 18' Silverline bowrider. The gentleman that owns it is an elderly man who spent quite a bit of time going over everything on the boat from bow to stern and really impressed me. He seemed more concerned that I would enjoy the boat and that it was right for me than he was about taking my money. He called me before I came by to look at it and said that he opened it up for the first time this season so I could look at it but he couldn't get it to crank. He said that he called a mechanic who was looking at it right now. The solenoid is apparently bad and he is replacing it.

anyways, he was a true gentleman and I am always impressed with honesty like that. He could have made an excuse but wanted it fixed before he even considered an offer.

I took 2 pictures that I thought may be of some help in figuring out what this boat is all about. Any help would be appreciated. He said that the plate stamp has 1978 stamped on it but it is an 80's model, whatever that means.

Thank you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

It may be registered or titled as a 1980, but it is a 78, without a doubt.

Someone with a bit more knowledge about that 470 drive unit will be along, to help you decide if you want to deal with that.
But be patient, it is a holiday weekend and many of us are out boating.

Do you have photos of the interior or the engine??

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Inline 4 cyl. I didn't get further than that because I am looking at 2 more and needed to go. The fellow like to talk and I had 3 of my 4 children with me. We pulled the cover off and looked at the motor though. Is there an issue that you are aware of with the mercruiser 470?

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took a real close look at the tag and it is a 1978 nantucket 17vbr, which is a 17.25', not 18'.
This outboard runabout is 17.25 feet long and weighs 1300 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 82 inches. The max horsepower for this boat on our records is 150 hp .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The outdrive isnt the issue. Its the motor in front of the outdrive that is the issue. While some people like it ( some people like AMC pacers ) the motor is a design study in how not to build a marine motor.

Fir your first boat, stay away from anything to do with the 170/470 motor

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It is a 3.7L 4 cylinder engine.

This has proven to be a troublesome setup.

Well documented.

No easy replacement engine.

Google or search this site.

You really should stick with boats that have a Mercruiser 3.0L or 4.3L if you want reliability and service availability.
There are others that are, certain years.

Personally, I would recommend newer boats, mid 80's thru 2000. With either a mercruiser i/o or an outboard from Merc, Yamaha, or Honda.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So with the outdrive saying Mercruiser 470 the engine would have to be a Merc as well?

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am also looking at a 1985 19.5' Cimmeron Bowrider with a 4 cyl Volvo Penta out drive. I hear its a solid engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would look at boats that are from 2000 or newer. Boats from the mid 80s will have a lot of issues.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having trouble finding anything of that vintage that is within my budget.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Does your budget include $2500-$5000 restoration and 500 hours of sweat. 90% of all boats below $5k this time of year are project boats. Most below $10k are as well.

If your budget is low, stick with aluminum boats.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been noticing from numerous first boat posts on this forum that our prices are quite different north of the border. My budget is $7500 - $10000, What I would like to have is something to start with for this season, and then improve it over the winters for the next few years.

Roadblock007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Scott.

I have seen from my research that you post a lot and seem to be very knowledgeable. I do value everyone's advice on here because after all, that's why I came here. If I knew everything I wouldn't be asking. I am set basically on boats from the 80's and 90's right now because that's what seems to be available and fit my needs.I know that I will have to deal with the consequences of any issues that arise with what I buy and I am prepared for that. I have about 20 years of mechanical experience with cars from rebuilding engines to a full restoration on a '72 Chevelle. That's why I am gravitating more toward I/O, because they are basically what I am used to.

So here is my next question. It seems like most of what I am looking at is either OMC or Mercruiser. The OMC that I looked at today has a 4.3 V6 chev motor in it with a new Cobra outdrive (receipts provided). I am new to this forum and might not be searching it correctly but I can't seem to find a simple post that outlines why everyone says the OMC's are bad. What exactly are their top issues?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I just went to the main forum page and did 2 searches, "omc outdrive", and "cobra outdrive". Got many threads popping up.

OMC, out of business for 20 years.
Some parts scarce.
Service hard to find.
And then there are the actual mechanical problems.

Just don't do it.

List of don'ts: OMC outdrives, Ford motors, Force motors, Chrysler motors, some Volvos, and 3.7L motors.

southkogs

Staff member
OMC had a couple of variants - Stringers, 60s through about '86. Cobras from '87 through the mid 90s - and OMC has been gone since then. I don't know the Cobras very well, but there were a few that mixed in with Volvo.

The Stringers particularly are rough to deal with: parts are getting harder to find (not impossible), and many marine techs won't work on 'em if you get in over your head. A Stringer you can't re-power to anything else because the way the engine/drive mount to the boat won't fit any other stern drives.

Cobras are probably a little better in that they can re-power to something more modern, but still you're up against parts and techs in the meantime.

If you're an experienced boat owner who likes to work on vintage (old and kinda' finicky) drives, then I wouldn't say OMC is the worst thing in the world (I kinda' like the old Stringers). But if you're new, and want to spend more time out on the water than in the garage, I would keep lookin' for something besides ole' vintage OMC stuff.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Hey southkogs, how did he manage to post photos in his very first post ?

This may sound crazy but don't buy an io. lots of people say there good handling but I work at a boat store and trust me there more work than there worth. I restore boats all the time and would never get an io for personal use. get an outboard its well worth it and anyone can work and understand them.