1997 Tahiti (sprinfield) with mercruiser I/O. wanting to add a platform and ladder

707offroad

Recruit
I picked up a clean little 16' Tahiti last week and I'd like to add a platform and ladder. The transom is an odd shape and I'm not finding any off the shelf platforms that will fit, What are my options?

Here's my new boat

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cool looking boat, but we can's see the transom.
If you have an unusual shape you might be able to make one out of a good marine plywood completely coated with epoxy, or glass fibre and epoxy. You might be able to get it covered in a urethane spray that matches your color. A cardboard template of the shape is a good place to start. Reinforcing might be needed, depending on the size and shape. Do that before you epoxy coat it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your looking at a custom build

However for such a small boat, why not simply hang a ladder over the gunwale?

707offroad

Recruit
Cool looking boat, but we can's see the transom.
If you have an unusual shape you might be able to make one out of a good marine plywood completely coated with epoxy, or glass fibre and epoxy. You might be able to get it covered in a urethane spray that matches your color. A cardboard template of the shape is a good place to start. Reinforcing might be needed, depending on the size and shape. Do that before you epoxy coat it.

How about composite decking like Trex or Azek? Are there generic kits with universal bracketry?

Your looking at a custom build

However for such a small boat, why not simply hang a ladder over the gunwale?

The boat is cramped with gear, people, cooler etc... I don't really want to store another large item inside the boat.

Here's a pic of the back. I'll get a better pic today

southkogs

Staff member
Tough boat for a platform. Dunno' that I've seen one on others like it - one thing to watch out for (happened with one of my boats) is that the swim deck may dig in while you try to plane out.

Otherwise - some ideas/options HERE , HERE and HERE

Welcome aboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How about composite decking like Trex or Azek? Are there generic kits with universal bracketry?

there is zero, and I mean zero chance that MDPE plastic would work. you need structure. any of the composite deckings are nothing more than glorified recycled milk jugs. when you build a deck with them, you still need wood stringers under them for support. put them in the hot sun and they warp and sag.

your going to have to build a custom form from wood or other structural material, to get the shape as a minimum. then your going to have to lay up the swim deck, finish it off, etc. for a light weight deck, you may want to look into carbon fiber and epoxy once you have a fiberglass mold and plug made

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That boat is too small for what yer wantin' to do,.....

707offroad

Recruit
Thanks for the replies guys. Over the weekend i discovered that the outdrive makes for a decent step to get back into the boat.