Starting the boat with the I/O in trailer mode? easy answer

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
please remind me - I remember when the prop is all the way up, trailer mode, something is very very bad and will rip out the ujoints/bellows/gimble -something - just can't remember if that is only engaging the drive or even just starting it.

Can I launch the boat, leave up the prop and still start the boat?

Alumarine

Captain
It's very hard on the ujoints to run the motor when it is in the full up position.
If the boats in the water why would you need to keep the leg in the full up position?

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's very hard on the ujoints to run the motor when it is in the full up position.
If the boats in the water why would you need to keep the leg in the full up position?

ok thanks. just wasn't sure if it was hard on it only in drive mode, or just idle running the engine
this is helpful thanks

I want to start, starting to start the engine as soon as the boat hits water, this way, it will warm up the whole time I'm parking and coming back to the boat.
less the wife has to do the better, but i'll just make sure she lowers the prop
thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
gee, I would run the blower, while you park the truck, so she doesn't blow up. You can idle away from the ramp, while she is warming up.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
il'l make sure blower is on. boat should be tied to dock so it wont idle away. thanks for input

oldjeep

Admiral
Did it for 9 years and over 500 hours. All that stuff must have broke after I sold the boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have very shallow water at the end of the dock- 24" or so, so I spend a lot of time idling into and out if my cove - never had an issue just keep it just above idle and your fine

tpenfield

Staff member
I think Bravo out drives are a bit more tolerant of the trailer position for running at idle, but maybe Alphas are OK too. Not sure about the Volvo-Pentas. The problem is that when you initially start the engine it revs well above idle speed for a few seconds. The u-joints get really mad and then decide to return the favor later on at the least convenient time.

Even with a shallow water launch, it is best to tweak the outdrive down a bit even if you don't quite get it into the trim range.