Draft of small 60's boats

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are have water level issues on the lake we use. As a result we don't want to put our boat in the water.

We are considering buying an older boat that we can use for the season. Something around 16ft with a few seats and an outboard (20 to 80hp).
Any idea what the draft would be? We would prefer aluminum if we can find one.

I am sure he draft level changes with each boat but we are just looking for an educated guess.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The draft will be specific to the exact boat you buy. They all are different. Age is not the deciding factor on draft, hull design and motor type is

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought about a pontoon. In my price range they usually do not have a trailer and I would want to keep it. I really don't need two boats.

ahicks

Captain
Well, if you did decide on going with a pontoon exclusively, you would be among MANY others doing the same thing judging by the change in look of the shoreline on our lake over the last 10-20 years. We started with a ski boat, then got a really nice ski boat. A friend asked if he could keep his pontoon docked at the house over a few holiday weekends one summer, and we were hooked. So we bought our first pontoon (1978). Wasn't much, but we used it 10 times for every time we used the ski boat. Ski boat usage dropped off over the next few years, until we found ourselves pulling the ski boat for the season, with the same tank full of gas it was put in with at the beginning of the season (1990). That was it for us. We've been exclusively pontoon for many years now. Sure I miss the ski boat on occasion, but not enough to get serious about getting another one....