1995 ranger 392v 20ft should I buy it?

Jaykarrels

Cadet
Engine was rebuilt, exterior is in good shape, interior needs carpet and seats show wear. Lots of extras with a top on it as well. They have it listed at 3750 and I got him down to $3000. What is a boat like this worth in good shape? Assuming nothing major needs fixed other than carpet and seats do you think it's worth this price?

southkogs

Staff member
If it's in good shape and running - hull is solid and the motor is doing fine - then, $3k might be on the high side of "worth it" in my area. Your local Craigslist is a good barometer. Seats showing wear would be normal, but being torn up wouldn't necessarily be normal. Replacing carpet is okay, as long as it doesn't equal bad floors.

Welcome aboard.

Jaykarrels

Cadet
If it's in good shape and running - hull is solid and the motor is doing fine - then, $3k might be on the high side of "worth it" in my area. Your local Craigslist is a good barometer. Seats showing wear would be normal, but being torn up wouldn't necessarily be normal. Replacing carpet is okay, as long as it doesn't equal bad floors.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you! I'm in Utah and these never show up. I went ahead and bought it. He had about 20 life jackets, 10 tackle boxes and a bunch of other goodies he threw in. Do you have any info on the 392v model? Is it a higher end model or lower end? I've been googling for more information and it's really hard to find anything on it. Seats just have cracks in them and are faded. And carpet has some holes and just looks like it needs replaced. Other than that everything looks good. Going to take it out tomorrow and see if it will leave me stranded or not haha.

southkogs

Staff member
Some information HERE, but you can also contact RANGER and see if they have any specs they can send you.

At 20+ years old - higher end model vs. lower end model doesn't really mean much anymore. It about how well it was cared for. I don't know the Rangers very well, but the brand has a good reputation. I see a lot of 'em around here, so they're at least popular.

Good luck with it!

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Assuming there are no hull or engine issues you did quite well. Rangers are well built, high end boats. Expect to replace small things like pumps, lights, wiring as needed. Carpeting is no issue to replace...Have Fun!!!

Jaykarrels

Cadet
Assuming there are no hull or engine issues you did quite well. Rangers are well built, high end boats. Expect to replace small things like pumps, lights, wiring as needed. Carpeting is no issue to replace...Have Fun!!!

Hey does anyone have any idea what all the gauges are on the instrument cluster panel? And the switches? Im missing the manual and I've never had a bad boat before.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Hey does anyone have any idea what all the gauges are on the instrument cluster panel? And the switches? Im missing the manual and I've never had a bad boat before.
Take close up pictures of the dash and switch panels, matter of fact of the whole boat including the battery location areas, that way we can help you out. I would assume you have a Speedometer, Tachometer,Volts,Engine Water temp, Tilt/Trim, Fuel gauges,all can be replaced quite easily at not a big expense. Contact Ranger, you might be able to download a owners manual.

Jaykarrels

Cadet
No Title

Here are some photos. Disclaimer, I literally know nothing about Bass Boats. I have wanted one for a couple of months now and saw this deal. The engine was rebuilt last year and I have documentation of that, but the interior needs some work. I love restoring stuff so that looked like it would be a fun project. I didn't ask the seller much about it because it was his father in laws, and his father in law had died and he was selling the boat because of it. I have had two other boats but none of the boats I had had livewells or a trolling motor like this or an outboard so this is something I am not well versed on. I have searched everywhere and can't find much info on the boat. I did order a manual from Ranger but it has yet to show up.

Some questions
-What is the fuel switch for?
-Bilge P., Int. Lt. Anchor, and Nav Lights, what are those for?
-Aerators switches, what are those?
-The Timer is for the livewell pumps right?
-What is Scale Select sensitivity switch by the ignition?
-The nav lights/anchor lights, are there actual lights on the boat? I switch them and I don't see anything happen.
-Trim up down switch, does that only work if the troller is actually in the water? And how do you put the troller in the water? Is it electronically, or manually?
-As far as the batteries go, there are three of them. Two are dead, and one is brand new. I am guessing the two dead ones are what control the motor and the new one is what controls the troller since that is the only thing that works.
-The clear oil container, I am guessing is where the oil is stored.
-On the dash panel, what is the lowrance dial? Is that a depth finder? What exactly does the trim dial mean? And the PSI dial on the far left, what is that for?
-Port livewell fill and empty are kind of self explanatory so I don't have many questions about that.
-The red switch under the shifter, is that a kill switch? I know it enables the motor to run or not run.
-For the trolling motor, the pedal, on the right the grey switch is to make the trolling motor go, but what is the dial on the left, and what is the pedal for?
-Last question, what is the proper sequence in starting the motor? My other boat was just a turn key start, so this obviously is a lot different than that one.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo266683.jpg
    photo266683.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266684.jpg
    photo266684.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266685.jpg
    photo266685.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266686.jpg
    photo266686.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266687.jpg
    photo266687.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266688.jpg
    photo266688.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266689.jpg
    photo266689.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266690.jpg
    photo266690.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266691.jpg
    photo266691.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266692.jpg
    photo266692.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266693.jpg
    photo266693.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266694.jpg
    photo266694.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
The fuel switch is for the left and right fuel tanks
The switch for the Bilge, turns the bilge pump on and off
The switch for the lights is a 3 position, anchor light is for your white pole light at the stern, when fishing at night, not under engine power. The middle position is OFF, the Nav position is when under power at night, both Stern and bow lights are on.
Aerator switches are for the aerator water pumps to each livewell, as it indicates can be automatic or used manually. The timer switch is for the amount of time you want your livewell pumps to run. The Scale Select switch is for the Lowrance Flasher unit in your dash, The trim switch is for the main motor up and down when stopped, you should also have one in the bow and on the Shifter to trim out when under way. Looks like your Bow Mount Motor is a manual unit to raise and lower. The unit on the bottom of the motor is a transducer for a sonar unit...( how many and what brand of locator/sonar units came with the boat?) Your batteries..One is for starting and runs ALL of your accessories..Should be a group 27 or larger with the highest reserve capacity you can get. The other two are for your bow mount trolling motor hooked in series to produce 24 volts to run the motor. Both should be Group 27 or larger with a high reserve capacity. The PSI gauge tells you how much water pressure your water pump impellor is putting out to the engine. The red switch under the shifter is your kill switch, should have a lanyard hooked to your life vest when under way in case you fall out. Trolling motor pedal the dial on the left is for motor speed, the one on the right is on/off. Your ignition switch is simple, turn key and push in to engage to choke when starting. Oil tanks in back should be clean inside, make sure the oil pump(s) work...do not run engine without these tanks at proper level and the pumps are functioning. It all starts with finding your fuse panel and checking all your connections to ensure everything is functioning properl, one circuit at a time. Don't rush just to get on the water...or it will cost BIG $$$$$$ Whew!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Go to nada.com and go through the questionnaire to get a basic appraisal if you want. An owners manual for a boat is not like one that you get with a car that may show what all the switches etc. are for, it basically gives specs and that's it. Here in Canada a basic boaters test is required to get your Boaters Card in order to legally operate a boat here. I don't know about your state but based on your inexperience I can't stress enough that you take a boaters safety course in your area. I know they have several in the USA.

If my son-in-law gave away all my tackle after I die I would come back and haunt him for the rest of his miserable life. I bet you may have some antique tackle and money in those boxes. I have a single box with about $2500.00 in lures alone.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
What make of motor and HP do you have on the back of the boat? (Pictures)....also post pictures of your stern.

Jaykarrels

Cadet
Old Ironmaker: Yeah man, he had quite a few tackle boxes in there. I think about 10 to 12. Lots of rapalas and good bass lures. I was happy to get all the extras. A handful of good fishing poles and reels as well. Your comment about haunting your son in law was cracking me up.

Fishin98: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The info you sent me helped me out a ton! And my fish finder is a Lowrance Elite 5X Chirp system. Any batteries you would recommend getting? I replaced one because it wasn't there with one from Walmart (the nicest one I could find there). And the battery charging system, do I just plug that thing in and let it charge before going out on the water? I have checked the fuses and all were good except one, which I replaced. How should I go about checking the wires? I am fine taking my time before taking it boating, I have something planned this weekend though so hopefully I will be able to have it figured out somewhat by then.

The motor I have is a mercury 200 HP 2.5l xri. Anything else I need to check out before I take it how? How do I go about checking the oil pump? And to switch out the oil do I just do a drain and fill, or is there a better way of doing it? The boat was winterized and shrink wrapped when I bought it, is there anything I should look at from the standpoint or checkout? Just making sure my bases are covered. Added some more photos as requested.

Thanks again for the help! Greatly appreciated! Helping this newb learn more about my bass boat and it is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5572 (2).JPG
    IMG_5572 (2).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5573 (2).JPG
    IMG_5573 (2).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5576 (2).JPG
    IMG_5576 (2).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5574 (2).JPG
    IMG_5574 (2).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5575 (2).JPG
    IMG_5575 (2).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 1

Jaykarrels

Cadet
Also I am looking to find the value of the boat, just for kicks and giggles, but I cannot find a model number 392v on there. Is this a cherokee, Comanche, fisherman, sport, xt, or sportfisherman series?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Good looking boat! Things I would recommend...Drain and refill the lower unit(very important for peace of mind),purchase a engine repair manual(available here on I Boats),check all wiring for the oil pump,look for inline fuses. Use a good oil for the oil injection system, new batteries from Walmart are a good choice, measure the batteries, I would recommend group 29, take pictures for reference BEFORE you disconnect and remove. Yes your onboard charger will charge them. purchasea skeg guard and install, purchase a keel guard,easy to install,get a pair of engine water muffs to check you water pump impeller to make sure your engine is cooling(water stream should be strong and constant. Install a new winch strap,along with a length of chain with a hook, mounted at the winch(hooks into bow eyelet)
MAKE SURE you have a KILLSWITCH lanyard and attach it to your life vest and wear your vest while underway(ALWAYS) THIS IS A GO FAST BOAT...For your own safety and others...TAKE IT EASY until you attain a measure of skill operating the boat.....3M makes a very good cleaner wax, does a very good job buffing out the hull and deck. For more info on the boat..Google 1995 Ranger 392V boat...Take care
Fishin

Jaykarrels

Cadet
Lower unit of the engine correct?

For the guards are there any you'd recommend? Are they one size fits all for those?

Yes I want to clean it really nice soon. I decided not to do the carpet until the fall when I'll have more time on it. I don't plan to use the motor much and I'm definitely not someone who drives crazy. Fastest I've ever gone in a boat is 45mph. Will mainly troll with it.

That's all great information for me and I'll be sure to follow your advice! Very thankful for your help guys!