fuel volatility

kingskid7

Cadet
old gas needs to be restored again.what is the best product for this? please help dan

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No such animal. You can stabilize gas, for a length and to a degree, but once it's gone it's gone. Pump it out, and start fresh.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Once fuel goes bad, there is no fixing it. Drain it and dispose of properly, then clean your fuel system for all the sludge that is now in it from the fuel going bad

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
How much gas and how old? My buddy was sick one year and the boat sat idle for 2 years. Half a tank of stabilized gas left, filled it up with fresh and it ran just fine.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What Jim said, just mix the old with new. 50/50 usually works fine, but around 30/70 will provide more peace of mind ;)

FWIW, I still remember when my inlaws decided to leave the RV park after more than 10 years, the 460 Ford under the hood of their motorhome started right up after the gas hit the carb and they drove it 50 miles to their house. The exhaust smelled like a varnish factory on fire but the thing ran...

oldjeep

Admiral
How much gas is it? Dump some into a container and see what it looks like. I tend to mix some new with old and use it for the lawnmower or something else that is cheap if it breaks.

Maclin

Admiral
There are fuel polishing services, but for small amounts those would cost more than the drain/dispose of legally/clean tank/refill effort.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the fuel is more than 15 months old, its no longer fuel. if it was stabilized, it would have lasted 6-12 months

nothing can bring back the carbon molecule chains once they break down

kingskid7

Cadet
the gas is about ten month old and was treated. I will take some out and see if it will run in my chainsaw.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
the gas is about ten month old and was treated. I will take some out and see if it will run in my chainsaw.

10 months old and treated with stabil or similar should be fine. If it's E0 fuel especially. Give it the sniff test, if it smells like gas, mix as much fresh gas into it as you can, and go boating.