Help identifying old aluminum lapstrake row boat

Bigsirus

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I picked up this old 14? boat from a friend?s father who has passed and can?t find any information about it. There are no stampings, tags or marking of any kind. It?s an all welded aluminum boat. I was thinking it might be an Alumacraft because of the welded drop down back plates as I have seen them on some of their other old boat and also the interior rib supports. I emailed pictures to Alumacraft and they said it's not theirs.. I have spent a few days checking google and have come up empty.

I had a friend in law enforcement run the NY registration numbers and it comes back empty. I'm thinking the boat is from the 60's and might have been registered back then but never kept up with and was probably deleted from the system.

I'm located in NJ and will have to come up with some sort of paperwork if i want to have a motor on it :)

Any information you can provide would be helpful

Thanks,
Tom

82rude

Rear Admiral
If you post 3 or 4 more times you should be able to add pictures i believe.Just say hi a few times on this thread or some other nonsense.

Bigsirus

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo265919.jpg
    photo265919.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2
  • photo265920.jpg
    photo265920.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo265921.jpg
    photo265921.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo265922.jpg
    photo265922.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2

Bigsirus

Cadet
Hopefully it went through this time as i still see the original ones i posted and now these. each time i try to upload i get a window up top that says working. i let it go for 5 min and still says the same thing. tried from work and a home computer and same thing.. ? if someone can just let me know if they see the pictures it would be appreciated. Thanks!

southkogs

Staff member
Pictures are workin' now. That's a good little hull. I like boats like that. Not fancy, but fun and practical.

Do some diggin' HERE you can look through the aluminum boats and see what's close to yours. I would say that boat is a candidate for 60s vintage, so finding out what it really is might be a challenge. Good news is that if you don't know ... the state DMV isn't really gonna' know either. Find out what it takes to re-title an old boat ... it likely never had a HIN, and maybe they didn't even put a serial number on it. They weren't required to have capacity plates on 'em back then (though some did) and sometimes it can be a real mystery.

But your state has a way to put a title on that boat. Just may not be convenient.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Check the regulations on registering a self built boat, might be easier than trying to register the conventional way.

82rude

Rear Admiral
When i get that idiotic spinning circle of workng death i just refresh and it goes away and my post is there.

Bigsirus

Cadet
Thanks Southkogs, that link you provided is awesome!! I had been putting together my own list and crossing off as i go. So far it's looking real close to a 1968 Appleby lapstreake lake fisher, but the interior is slightly different.

I have a buddy that works for DVM checking to see what my options are. I gave up after spending an hour on hold and getting disconnected 3 times...