Carpet vs. Tuff Coat/Durabak

Javelin379T

Recruit
Carpet is starting to rip up in the old bass boat. Undecided on what to lay down next. I like the general idea and look of the carpet and how it doesn't show the spacing between the compartments. But applying tuff coat or durabak seems so much easier and less time consuming. What are your thoughts of what to go with? I have alum compartment doors and ive read a lot of people having problems with the tuff coat sticking to alum. Any ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am totally biased. I like carpet. It feels so good on bare feet and even makes the hull a lot quieter when you want to slip up on good fishing areas. But like I said, I am biased towards carpet. I never had an issue keeping carpet clean in my Bass Boat. Other don't like it because they couldn't keep their clean. So it really is up to YOU. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm totally biased against carpet, I would never have it in any boat, but it is nice to walk on.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've really like Nautolex marine vinyl deck covering, I know it's not one of the options you listed but I believe it's the best of all the choices after using it on 2 different boats now. With adhesive it sticks to AL just fine too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I like walking on carpet, however my boat is getting Rhino lining or Line-X

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I am biased as well. IMHO, carpet has no place in a boat. Why do you think so many boats rot? Never had it never will.

OK, sure it feels nice on your feet. Wear fluffy slippers instead......LOL.

Nautolex is fine. Personally I like Marideck (I believe its called Dorsett now). It's what is OEM on Starcraft, Lund, Alumacraft, etc. Wears like iron, non slip, easy to clean. My Stingray's floor has held up for 34 seasons now and it still looks like new. Never once did the wife complain about it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Carpet cant rot out a proper floor as it never would come in contact with the core.

however wine and strawberry margaritas are difficult to get out of teak and carpet.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You can add a bloody Mary to the list of mixed drinks that's not coming out of carpet anytime soon.