Converting my hardtop into a sundeck. "wifes request"

cbain

Seaman
just wondering if its possible and to get some ideas on how to go about reinforcing it to make it work.

1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160 with a hardtop of course..

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Pics, please.

And feel free to throw in pics of the boat, too.

cbain

Seaman
No Title

This is the boat.

Attachments

• photo265812.jpg
    photo265812.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo265813.jpg
    photo265813.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 1

cbain

Seaman
I cant find any pictures of some converting the hard top on a boat like this into a sundeck or lounging area. I don't think it would be top heavy for it is a bigger boat. but I have been wrong before.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Depends, how flimsy is it now? You could add some custom fabricated ribs below to stiffen it up, and the ribs could be used to hang extra lighting down there to.

cbain

Seaman
It would be my wife and my friends wife. This exceeds the 200lb limit bayliner says it can withstand.

harleyman1975

Ensign
It will be a total custom job and most likely a boat that will be diffecult to sell when the time comes.

Ned L

Commander
It is also not so much a matter of carrying the weight up there as a matter of being up there on a boat of that size and hull shape really may not be much fun. When you cross another boat's wake or anything that makes your boat roll, will really have them holding on up there so as to not get tossed over the side. (The higher you are on any boat the more any rolling motion is amplified.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is also not so much a matter of carrying the weight up there as a matter of being up there on a boat of that size and hull shape really may not be much fun
There is no way anyone should be up there with the boat moving even if it was strong enough.

cbain

Seaman
I wouldn't have anyone up there while the boat is in motion. :facepalm:.

This would be more for just anchored out and enjoying the water with a couple of fishing poles in the water while the wife catches some sun.

I would take safety into consideration to make it as comfortable and safe as possible.

my question was how would you all do it. for you all are seasoned boaters and I'm just starting out in this hobby.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take a picture of the framing underneath. Likely need to weld on addition support ribs.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 20 year old boat? The time expense and hassle would make the project not cost effective. Trade it in on a boat that meets her requirements.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
You have been given a perfect opportunity to buy a newer boat that is designed like she wants.