Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

NaptownLarry

Recruit
Every captain on the Chesapeake knows the usual spots like behind Hart Miller Island where boaters congregate to break out the barbecue grill and take a dip in the water on sunny weekends during the summer. But almost every captain also knows a few local anchorages where they can drop anchor or just raft up with a few friends when they want to avoid the crowds too. (THOSE are what I'm looking for).

I'm attempting to create a comprehensive Google Map of shallow "sandy", (not mud, muck, or rocky), anchorages around the bay. The kind of place where you can anchor and everyone on board can jump off and stand barefoot in chest deep water (4'-5') on a sandy bottom with a sandy walk up shoreline.

What I'm looking for are either lat long coords or very specific location descriptions that you have a first hand knowledge of, along with a short sentence or two describing the best way to anchor there, how crowded it gets (or doesn't get) during the summer months, and any unique characteristics of the location.

The current map can be found here and will remain publicly available as it grows:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...&ll=39.163715255544986,-76.18772330000002&z=9

leakytarp

Cadet
Awesome idea, I hate the fact that most of the Bay's shoreline is not accessible due to private property (unlike at the ocean, where all beaches / the high-tide line are public property). What about Mayo beach?

NaptownLarry

Recruit
Awesome idea, I hate the fact that most of the Bay's shoreline is not accessible due to private property (unlike at the ocean, where all beaches / the high-tide line are public property). What about Mayo beach?

The thing about "private property" along the Chesapeake Bay is that they can only claim up to the waterline. Behind Dobbin Island is a perfect example of a great sandbar anchorage. Once upon a time no one owned the island and you could wander around on all you wanted to. But even now that someone owns it and has put up all kinds of fences and signs, boaters are still free to anchor there just as long as they don't go ashore.

biglar628

Recruit
Conguest Beach on the Chester River is a great place to anchor. It is just above the Corsica River, about 20-40 minutes from the mouth of the Chester. On weekends there can be anything from 10 to 100 boats. Most anchor or beach on the far side of a narrow gut running into the river, away from the park pavilion. Plenty of depth for a motorboat. Sometimes there is a bathroom open at the park.

For anyone interested there is a nice bar/restaurant in Centerville, called Doc's. Its an easy walk from Centreville's public dock. The only problem is the long ride up the Corsica because of the no wake zones. Enjoy!

NaptownLarry

Recruit
The list is growing... started with 6 I had personal knowledge of and now it's up to 34 that stretch from the top of the bay all the way down to the mouth! Keep em coming, especially if you know of any spots between the bottom of Kent Island all the way down to the Rappahanock.

Just remember, we're looking to add "Sandy Bottom" anchorages with waters shallow enough to step off the boat and stand with your head above water, (4'-5' deep). Having a walk up sandy shoreline or beach is a plus.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...&ll=38.297974208426076,-76.20869010000001&z=7

And for those of you that enjoy a good Dock Bar on the Chesapeake Bay, here's my personal list of those too. It's publicly available so feel free to bookmark it as a reference:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...B36wXQzc&ll=38.19204745748263,-76.4953385&z=7

NaptownLarry

Recruit
Crickets out there... I guess we've collectively put together every single shallow sandy anchorage on the bay! ;-)

I'll continue to update the map as long as I keep getting contributions. And the map will remain free and publicly accessible to anyone who wants to use it to explore (new to you) sandy anchorages around the bay. Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...QC7kJvs&ll=38.24932870953997,-76.19621515&z=7

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Are you on Facebook? There's a really really active group on there called Upper Chesapeake Recreational Boaters. Check it out if you haven't seen it.