Anchor Bow Roller Add on

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Over the weekend I saw a bowrider type boat that was similar in size to mine that had what looked like a Bow Roller for the anchor. (I think that is what it is called) Is this something that can be added to any boat, or do they need to come from the factory and be built for that? I just question install on my boat as my nav lights are in the front of the bow right where this appears to go.

Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Pretty much any boat can have one added. Bow riders with the boarding ladder built into the bow are probably the trickiest to do.

No factory magic needed, but you will want to plan it out, research various bow rollers and use a backing plate under the deck surface where you mount the through-bolts.

Usually, you have to go with the individual port and starboard bow lights.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, makes sense. Are they worth the investment in time and money? I currently keep my anchor under my front most seat.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i just installed one on mine but it isn't a bow rider. i have an anchor locker but hated trying to retrieve the anchor without banging it off the front of the boat so i installed one as a guide to keep it off the boat. i bought mine on eBay for about $100 and used 3/8" aluminum plate on the underside for better backing. my deck was about 1" thick so i used 3" x 1/2" stainless bolts but probably could have used 2 1/2" long bolts and been ok

tpenfield

Staff member
Ok, makes sense. Are they worth the investment in time and money? I currently keep my anchor under my front most seat.

An 18 foot boat . . . maybe not, unless you anchor a lot. I put one on my 33 footer and then added a windlass, because I had a 30 lb anchor and wanted to be able to raise it in all kinds of conditions.