Drainage issues (pics)

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I recently put my boat in the water and I was cleaning the deck when. I quickly noticed that water was collecting my in the back of the boat and not draining out. So when I looked at the exterior of the transom I noticed that the waterline was halfway up the two drains that water exits the boat blocking water from exiting. I was usin the hose when this happened. I also have a seem above the fuel tank where water can get below the deck but I have sealed that up just yesterday. There is no water where my bilige pump is. It also rained pretty good here as no water was collecting like wen I was in the boat using the hose.the only thing I could think of is water was getting thru the seem and into the area my below deck fuel tank lies. And ideas on what could be going on and what I should do? Thank you

Attachments

• photo265646.jpg
    photo265646.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would weight your boat.

the only reason why scuppers sit that far below the water line is that your heavy from water-soaked foam

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Did water collect anywhere below deck? I'm not clear on that. Was the plug in? Could the plug be leaking?

Have you owned this boat long enough to know that this is a"change"? As in, it wasn't like this last season?

What boat/motor?

Have you done anything recently that would change the balance of the boat, especially toward the rear, like repowered to a heavier outboard, moved batteries around, installed a big livewell at the stern, etc.?

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I put the plug in and water didn't collect where my bilige pump is. Around my tank I'm not sure cause I can't see around it. I haven't done any work to the boat. If water got in around the fuel tank below the deck is there a exit point? I have 2003 txrb 130hp on a 1975 Grady white fisherman. I'm not sure if the boat say this low because I've never checked. I'm trying To find old pics of the waterline in years past.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
OK so let's assume for the moment that you aren't taking on water, and that you don't know if this low-scuppers / not-draining issue is "brand new" or not. Maybe this is the first time you've hosed the deck while on the water?

(Also, did you note whether this water on deck did drain once you went up on plane? That at least would mean the scuppers are working)

I can't find that the "Fisherman" model existed in 1975, but I'm gonna assume your hull is something like an 18' CC or runabout-type, with a listed hull dry weight somewhere around 1400-1500lbs, kinda like the Adventurer or Challenger (150hp max OB) models from 1975:
http://www.gradywhite.com/media/2822/1975.pdf

Some quick checking on NADA says that Evinrude 115-135hp OB's of that era--which is what I assume it originally had--weigh in around 270lbs. Your 2003 Yamaha 130 txrb clocks in at around 360lbs. That's 90# more weight than the designers expected, smack-dab on top of your transom, making you aft-heavy.

(And do I see a kicker bracket in your photo? Is there a kicker on it? That's even more transom weight the designers didn't design for.)

I'm having a very similar issue with my 2000 17' CC (1200lb listed dry hull weight)...the 2012 125hp Mercury Optimax on there now is about 60# heavier than the 2000 90hp or 115hp Evinrude it had originally, which put my scuppers kissing the waterline too (especially with my fat butt fishing off the rear deck), leading to what I call "wet deck syndrome." I am attempting to correct for that weight imbalance by moving the starting battery from the boat designer's original, "brain-challenged" location UNDERDECK IN THE D**MNED BILGE to above-deck under the console, forward of the center-of-gravity...and also adding a second battery in the same location. I'm only halfway done with that project and it has already helped greatly. I may even also have to put some 50# of ballast up in the forward anchor locker before I'm done. I'm expecting all this to help not just with the wet deck / scupper issue, but also to reduce bow-rise when I punch it. I wonder if some weight re-balancing may be all you need. How's the boat performing otherwise?

(And do you ever get a following wave wash over your transom notch if you cut power / come to a stop too abruptly? I used to!)

I have noticed that newer hulls in this size range, say mid-2000's and up, seem to be correcting for today's heavier outboards by going to Euro-style transoms with some set-back and a full transom (or transom well). I've seen people correct for this in older hulls with newer/bigger OB's by using set-back plates, bolt-on pods/extensions (some with very nice built-in swim platforms), home-built transom well/shroud thingies, etc. Not sure yet whether I want to consider any of that (well, maybe a setback plate with vertical trim, especially since I spend so much time in thick kelp... :cool: ), or just wait 5-10 years and find a 5-10 year newer hull for my motor.

In poking around on this and other forums, it seems I'm (we're?) not alone in this "wet deck" issue, it seems to be most prevalent on older 17-19' OB-powered hulls that are being re-powered to heavier motors (and smaller IO-to-OB conversions!). I predict this topic will become even more visited in coming years as we're kind of approaching that 20-year "time to repower" threshold for a lot of those pre-mid-2000's hulls out there.

(Scott Danforth is right though; you should weigh your rig--or whatever it takes, poking, prodding, drilling test holes--to see if you're not just overall-heavy from soaked foam, wet wood, etc. Boat seem structurally sound?)

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Generally speaking, not knowing the specifics of your boat, I would think about putting it on a trailer, parking it on a ramp at an back angle and see if you can get forward water to make its way to the back where it can be drained if so.