Repainting an Evinrude 90 Hp

johnnybgood

Seaman
Not sure if this this is the right place to post question but here goes. Just finished rewiring and replacing hatches etc. on a Sea Hunt 172 CC boat looks good after waxing. The Evinrude 90 Hp Ocean pro really needs a paint job and new decals. My question is I have some left over white ( >qt) automotive paint brand is LIMCO acrylic enamel used on a Dodge sometime ago. Can I use this on an outboard which will be used in saltwater, will it hold up? I have a spray can of zinc chromate for areas I sand to bare metal. Any advice would be appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I take it this is a single stage type paint. If so is there a hardener additive to use? If not, I don't think it will be fuel proof. So any fuel (gas and oil or just gas) will work on the paint the instant it gets on it. If you can add a hardener that will make it basically fuel proof and should work okay over proprely prepared surfaces. But that is just my uneducated opinion for that type paint.

The Zinc Chromate is a great choice for the bare metal areas though. And you have to have every bit of oils and dirt removed for any paint to stick. JMHO

johnnybgood

Seaman
Thanks for your response I'll be painting the cover and lower unit. The paint has a reducer and a hardener added to it when its mixed to spray so from what your saying it sould be fuel proof. Used it a few yearsa go to paint a truck fender. Guess I'll give it a try

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for your response I'll be painting the cover and lower unit. The paint has a reducer and a hardener added to it when its mixed to spray so from what your saying it sould be fuel proof. Used it a few yearsa go to paint a truck fender. Guess I'll give it a try

You could always mix a small batch and apply it on some test metal and see what it can handle fuel before doing the entire motor. If I had any doubts, that is how I would try it first. JMHO