First Boat? 1998 Sylvan 1900 Sportfish w/ 4.3 Merc

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at buying our first boat. Found this one and it seems like it should fit our needs nicely. Family of 5, looking to use it for a combo of tubing/skiing, fishing, cruising - pretty much everything. Boat is at a dealership and I have some questions about the buying process:

1. Is it reasonable/expected to ask to take the boat to another dealership for an inspection/assessment?
2. I'm a pretty mechanical guy and work on all my own vehicles, but I never grew up around boats, so don't really know where to start as far as looking it over myself... what would be showstopper areas of concern, and what should I expect to see from a 1998 aluminum hull w/ rivets?
3. As a first time boat buyer (and used boat buyer...) what should my dealing with the dealership look like? What are the steps I should be doing to work towards buying this boat?

sylan 1900 sport fish.jpg sylvan 1900 sf.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

There's a great topic on what to look for HERE.

The engine isn't too much different than a car engine. It's been "marine-ized" to accommodate boating needs, but effectively about the same deal. I wouldn't hesitate to ask about towing the boat over to a marine tech to have him look it over. The worst they can say is no. I probably wouldn't bother taking it to another dealership - for the same reason that you're wondering if you should take this dealership's word ;)

Getting the boat out on the water is the best way to see if it's doing what it should. So, I'd be asking for a test ride.

Make sure you stack the entire family in there for a sit down, if not a ride. I can't remember how the inside of those boats are laid out, but if the seating isn't configured right it could be a little cramped. I put 5 on my Bayliner pretty regularly (with a dog), but the seating accommodates it pretty nicely.

I can't help with question #3. I've never bought a boat from a dealership.

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. I had found that link a while back and have made my lists accordingly.

Doing some calling around to see if I can bring it by a nearby marina to have their guys look at it with me. I guess I just need to get more comfortable in looking at these things and doing my own inspection.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a nice rig! I see she's sitting on a roller trailer, , nothing wrong with that at all. Do yourself a favor and make darn sure you look at the hull at the back of the boat right under the drain hole. Make sure it's not all bent and banged up. If it it's a sign that a previous owner took of the winch strap and safety chain off prior to backing down the ramp and boat came off the trailer before he got to the water. I've seen it happen a few times.
Regarding your trailer - It says Sylvan on it, it's really a ShoreLander, , just sayin.

As for the aluminum hull and rivets, just look for anything obvious, big scrapes, that sort of thing. If the previous owner had the boat on big rough water it is possible to loosen up some rivets. About the only way to fix that is put sealer over whichever loose rivets.

Having purchased a boat from a dealership last year, I would say it's really no different than buying a car, , for me anyway. The sales guy did his thing, we struck a deal, we then got turned over to the finance lady who did all the paper work. Done.
If you're financing, make sure you have all your finances in order. Financing a (here in Minnesota anyway) is a weird deal as far as what the boat is worth and what the bank will actually give you.

I was trading a boat in as well so it took a while, , boy I could write a book on that experience. :mad::mad-new::mad2::fish:

Good Luck!

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought about the roller trailer - that's a good point!

briangcc

Commander
Looks like a nice boat.IF this is a reputable dealer, they'll be willing to launch it for you and give you a test drive before you purchase. I'd have the full compliment of people you plan to have on board at the time so that you know how it will perform before you sign on the dotted line.

Since you're new to boating in general, see if the dealer is including a Coast Guard package (well that's how its termed here anyways). For me it included those wonderful orange life jackets, anchor & rope, fire extinguisher, couple bumpers/fenders & lines, dock lines, flares, and a couple other items I'm sure I'm forgetting. All equipment you'd pretty much want/need in a safety check...well minus the paddle, not sure why that wasn't included.

One suggestion...check around on financing if you need to finance the boat as the dealer isn't always the best option. Having financed all my boats, the last two were very trying, to put it mildly. You may also be required to carry insurance on the boat/trailer - I have to as its requirement of my financing.

And last, you may want to look into a boater safety class.

Ontario eh? Whereabouts??

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks briangcc.

I have a boaters licence (required here for anything above 10hp), but a safety class is not a bad idea (you get your boaters licence online so...). This dealer is quite small (I have no experience with them, so can't say if they are reputable). I will also be purchasing insurance as well. Coast Guard package is a great idea.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario near Windsor.

Anybody bother with Marine Surveyors for used boats under $10k CAD (~$7.5K USD)? If it runs and floats am I good? I'm looking at this boat as being able to work for us for the next 5-10 years (size and layout it should do that), but also would like to know that I could recover some value from it if I decide to upgrade later. So having said that, marine survey work around here looks like it goes for about $500 a pop. Am I over thinking this? I've bought vehicles twice this expensive privately doing my own inspection and not thought twice - I just don't have the basis for boats yets...

mr 88

Commander
Some people will use a surveyor for that set up and price, I wouldn't. A surveyor usually looks at larger setups and goes through all the bells and whistles that are associated with a bigger boat. Basically if all the gauges and switches work for what they are hooked up to ,including bilge pumps.blowers and livewells along with your tilt trim indicator and dash gauges your good to go on that end. Then you move around the floor while bouncing up and down looking for any soft spots,if you don't find any.your good to go with that. There should not be any excessive play in the out drive,while down move it back and forth with your hand to see if there is any slop in it,like a front end on a car. If no slop ,move on to inspecting the inside of the transom for any soft wood. After all that and taking a sea trial I would check for any water in the bilge,making sure it was completely dry when launched. If dry ,the rivets are probably good,they would most likely leak when underway and pressure is applied to the hull. I would guess its a low hour motor and if need be do a compression test ,if it passes all the above with flying colors,including as mentioned a sea trial with 5 aboard and your happy,make a offer. Aluminum boats are the easiest to rebuild.recondition ,sell [without a huge deprecation hit ] and pretty much maintenance free on the market.

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
Thanks briangcc.

I have a boaters licence (required here for anything above 10hp), but a safety class is not a bad idea (you get your boaters licence online so...). This dealer is quite small (I have no experience with them, so can't say if they are reputable). I will also be purchasing insurance as well. Coast Guard package is a great idea.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario near Windsor.

Anybody bother with Marine Surveyors for used boats under $10k CAD (~$7.5K USD)? If it runs and floats am I good? I'm looking at this boat as being able to work for us for the next 5-10 years (size and layout it should do that), but also would like to know that I could recover some value from it if I decide to upgrade later. So having said that, marine survey work around here looks like it goes for about $500 a pop. Am I over thinking this? I've bought vehicles twice this expensive privately doing my own inspection and not thought twice - I just don't have the basis for boats yets...

I wasn't sure if a license was required in your neck of the woods. They enacted that requirement a couple years back for boat operators here, born after '95 I think, here and ALL PWC operators. I'm slowly working through mine online - I'm exempt but still want to learn something new!

Nice country up there. I have my wife convinced on vacation on Rice Lake next year...gotta enhance her license first.

Follow the tips above and you should be ok. Post back when you take it out for a spin!

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
OK, sounds pretty reasonable. Starting to get enough other opinions that I'm feeling a little more confident that this isn't some magical wizardry!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard klonteig,

Hey thanks up front for the pics of your Sylvan which is made by the same folks as Smokercraft and my beloved Starcraft as well. If taken proper care of the Sylvan should be pretty much turn key if not... well she is getting on 20 years now. Most people wouldn't even dream of buying a 1998 car and taking their family on a road trip but boats... yeah.

Have any interior pics? A well taken care of interior means the motor most likely was cared for as well.

Since you're knowledge of boats is just starting then a survey of the hull by a pro is a very good idea and could be well worth the investment. Unless you have a very knowledgeable buddy that can help you out.

The 4.3L MC is a very robust reliable motor that is easy to work on. Being a sterndrive mercruiser has it's challenges with maintenance and if not done properly and on a schedule could be an issue. Rivets should not be a worry on this particular boat at this age, the ones we see troubles on are over 40 years old and that's not very common even then.

I buy old nasty boats found in fields and restore them so I know nothing about dealerships except their nickname "Stealership". :lol:

Boat looks great and covered is a huge plus :thumb:
fetch

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
No pics of interior but stopped by on the weekend to look. Was closed, but the boat was in the lot, so I popped the cover open and took a peek. Didn't want to get too nosey with them being closed, so I didn't spend too much time. Just wanted to get an idea of the layout and show the wife to see if it was worth taking for a ride or not. Interior is carpet - not the cleanest, but passable. No major rips or tears that I notices. Seats look original, but again, passable condition from what I saw. Definitely not flashy, but would get the job done for us. I don't like REALLY nice things, as the stress level goes up when the kids are around it, so this way, I don't have to get too upset when someone inevitably dumps lunch in it. Will be fishing out of it as well, so.... I think it would clean up OK, though. Doesn't look like anyone spent any time trying to make it look nice. I think it was a trade-in and go. This dealer didn't have any other used boats on the lot. Only new ones.

thoms_here

Recruit
I have an older (1992) 16Ft. Sylvan and I love it! It has never leaked and I live on a lake so It's had a busy fishing life. I would definitely look for another Sylvan if I wanted to replace mine. Just thought I would let you know. :)Schedule

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback. Ummm, what does "schedule" mean? I'm going to tomorrow to go through the boat and take it for a run.

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
OK - update. Went and looked today. Spend 2.5 hours going through the whole thing. Ran out of time to test drive and I had some questions I wanted to ponder before committing anyway....

Mechanically the boat seems solid. A bunch of the screws on the hinges have worked loose (seems like wear and tear), but couldnt find any rotten wood. Boat was wet from recent rain, but all the water I found seemed clean. No brown or dirty stuff. Did a compression test and numbers were 182 to 187 psi on all. Started and ran it on muffs, once it warmed a bit, it idle nicely and smooth. Only real issue with it is that the carpet has a lot of wear and tear. It's pretty well at end of life (see pictures). It's a 1998 and pretty clearly been stored outside. Doesn't look like it's been abused, but hasn't been babied either. Engine was quite clean, bellows looks OK. Apparently bellows and water pump was replaced ~2 years ago. All fluids are clean and new (I think from the winter service) so I can't get a read on anything there. Gauges work except of the trim indication, which they said they would fix if I bought it. 30-day warranty on the sale is what they told me (not really sure what that means...).

Doesn't seem like they are willing to move on the $7900 CAD (~$5800 USD) price, but I think I can get them to throw in an extra battery, couple of seat posts, etc.

I was going to call around for a price to do the carpet to see, because I think that would really make this boat look a lot better. My biggest concern is if I will get my money back out of this in a few years for the purchase price? This seems to be the best "utility" boat I've found. Set up well for fishing, but will work equally well for cruising with the family and tubing. Thoughts.

Realized now I didn't get a good overall picture. Its got a live well in the front with a removable platform, trolling motor mount on the bow (no motor), fish finder, 4 vinyl swivel seats with posts.
IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That seems like a steep price to me for a well worn 98 model. The worst thing someone can do to a boat is leave it uncovered outside, the weather will absolutely destroy the boats interior and rot will start in on the wooden decking / transom.

Were there any soft spots in the decking when walking around inside?

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
No soft spots - felt pretty solid. It really seems like the issues were mostly cosmetic.

briangcc

Commander
Money back in a few years? Well you might stumble across someone that just absolutely HAS to have your exact model and engine of boat and is willing to pay a premium to have it...there's a captain for every seat they say. But in all likelihood, no you won't make your money back. Just like cars, boats depreciate over time. Only exception to that rule seem to be the wood hull boats from the 40's up - Hackercraft, ChrisCraft, etc.