Factory drilled holes in stringers and bulkheads 1977 Spikjack

skunkedskippy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any ideas why these holes were drilled into the stringers and bulkheads? They can't be for drainage because they are too high on the stringers. I know they are from the factory because they in the bulkheads fore and aft of the original fuel tank (and foam).

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
To ensure the wood would rot just in case they did good job in the lamination shop.

tpenfield

Staff member
To ensure the wood would rot just in case they did good job in the lamination shop.

^^^ :lol:

The only other thing that I can think of would be to allow air to escape from chambers within the boat as the (pour-in) foam was expanding during th manufacturing process.

Ned L

Commander
The holes in the floors are limber holes to allow for drainage. They are drilled there because it is easier and they are guaranteed not to damage the hull there. (Yes, they are correctly called "floors" on a boat, not "bulkheads". Bulkheads divide the internal usable space into compartments,.. think 'walls' in a house. "Floors" are structural members that run athwartship and tie the keel to the stringers. Ok, my rant is over, now you can call them bulkheads like everyone else here. :D. )

The holes in the stringers?,..... my guess would be for temporary lifting brackets at the builder ( lifting the hull out of the mold ?)