Choosing first boat

RedDmax

Recruit
My wife and I are wanting to buy our first boat. We want a deck boat for family water sports on some small lakes and very occasionally riding the intracoastal. Have looked at quite a few boats and water tested several, narrowed it down to a Hurricane 2012 187 OB and a 2013 201OB.
We like the open floor plan of the 201, but the boat has bottom paint. The boat will be kept on a trailer and I've heard it could be a fair amount of upkeep with bottom paint not in the water. I've also heard the bottom paint can affect resale later. The 187 floor plan was nice but did feel more separated since it has a windshield. We did enjoy both boats and think either would be good for us. The 187 would run 44 mph and the 201 only did 38, I don't know if that's enough difference to worry about. Both boats have 4 stroke Yamaha 150 on them.

The boats are only about $1000 apart in price. Is it better to get the 12 without bottom paint for $1000 less, or buy than one year newer boat and take my chance with having to keep up bottom paint, and possibly affecting resale one day? We wouldn't typically be out in less than perfect conditions but I know that conditions could change if we are out for evening ride and docking to eat.
Just wanting some guidance when making a decision. Thanks

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is a big difference in size. That means towing and storing are easier with the 187 and the 201 is better in rough conditions. The smaller (lighter) boat will perform better with the same size engine but you have more space to spread out in the bigger. With regard to the bottom paint someone else can give you advice. I've never used it.

RedDmax

Recruit
Looking at the specs the 187 is 15" shorter and about 200# lighter than 201, both have capacity of 10. The more I read the less I want to deal with bottom paint.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I know this isn't always the case, but I always wonder what boats with bottom paint are hiding, especially on one that new.

RedDmax

Recruit
Took the 187 for about an hour test ride todayon intracoastal, really performed well. Owner spent a good bit of time showing me how to use all equipment on boat and Garmin 441s, decided to get that boat. Excited about becoming a boat owner.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good choice. If the owner is willing to spend time it usually means they like their boat and probably have kept it up well.
Congratulations. Welcome to the world of unlimited expenses. ;)