Help identifying my new/old boat please

Lostboatman

Cadet

Hi. I'm new to the forums and boating in general. I bought this boat the other day. Does anyone have any idea who manufactured this boat? I can't do anything with it until I figure it out :(
Thanks in advance

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
:wave::welcome: to iboats! I personally don't know anything about your boat, but it sure does look great! What does it say on the paper work you got when you bought it?

Lostboatman

Cadet
Well that's part of the problem. Me and the wife were so excited to find the boat in the condition its in, at 800 dollars with a trailer and 50HP Johnson seahorse we didn't do our due diligence. Seems there's no paperwork from the previous owner and they don't know anything about the boat either.
The best I can find is it's a 60s model based on the windshield alone, unfortunately I need more than that to get her registered..

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Is there a plate on the rear right side of the boat's transom with a Hull Identification Number (HIN)? That might be a good starting point.

Lostboatman

Cadet
I've searched the boat and the only identifiers I can find k-140-133 stamped above the transom in the aluminum trim and 31k 251 on the bow (both sides) my understanding is that's the license number but it's too short to be current

Maclin

Admiral
Really depends on the State you are in (hint hint, let us know). Some states allow you to register a new-to-you boat with just those numbers, not very many though. What State are those reg numbers from on the hull? Did you get it from the person who last registered it? It looks like a pre-1972 boat so no HIN numbers on the hull probably. You may be able to trace it back from the reg numbers on the hull, I think I can see some in that pic. Some lakes are private, no reg numbers needed, but those are limited and not too aplenty.

I had to go thru a couple of hoops once to get one titled in my state (TX), but I had purchased it from the last register-er in the other State (KS). Good thing it was just hoops, that limbo thing is a killer at my age.

Good luck! Looks like a fun little boat.

Lostboatman

Cadet
Well I'm in alberta if that helps, so definitely could be from BC. The person I got it from didn't know much and didn't have any official papers. Claims she bought it/ used it but never transferred from the previous owner. A friend of mine thought it was a Johnson boat from what he could remember and said the motor was the one that came with the boat 1974 Johnson 50, Model es50 74m. Guess at the end of the day I could take the motor off and get something under 10hp so I don't need to register it. But that's no fun.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Did you get a bill of sale from the woman you bought it from? With a bill of sale and the last registration numbers on the boat at least you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it registered in your name.

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. . . .

This is what we call a UFO . . . Unidentified floating object. :D

Hopefully you will find a way through the paperwork maze, so you can enjoy it.

Lostboatman

Cadet
Transport Canada really is easy to get along with. It turns out that the license was valid and was really easy to transfer, as long as I did the paperwork properly it's done. Now to wait for them to send someone out to give me a vin for my trailer so i can actually move the boat lol.

I did come across fiberglassics.com but I have no idea where to start looking so that will be a process. Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi. I'm new to the forums and boating in general. I bought this boat the other day. Does anyone have any idea who manufactured this boat? I can't do anything with it until I figure it out :(
Thanks in advance

Looks a lot like one of my old GENVA boats that I once had (recently). I had a 1962 & a 1964 model. Yours looks like it may be a 1965-66 model. The Geneva boat company was in Detroit Michigan, but it no longer exists.

Ned L

Commander
Very nice clean looking little boat. She should give you a lot of good times

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Transport Canada really is easy to get along with. It turns out that the license was valid and was really easy to transfer, as long as I did the paperwork properly it's done. Now to wait for them to send someone out to give me a vin for my trailer so i can actually move the boat lol.

I did come across fiberglassics.com but I have no idea where to start looking so that will be a process. Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.

Did Transport Canada tell you the info about the boat that is on the valid license?

Lostboatman

Cadet
Thanks all for the Information everyone , it at least gives me new alleys to look down. Ive been hung up looking at statecraft boats feom the 60s so I'll keep looking.
Transport Canada wouldn't provide any info at all prior to switching the license into my name except that it was a valid license number. I haven't tried since they approved the transfer and gave me new numbers. I'll have to check on that

Hughie Jeanette

Recruit
In Georgia you can register a boat with no hull numbers or registration number or previous owners information if the boat was made before 1972. Just sign an Affidavit of Ownership with your information on it. I know I just did it. I just registered a 1959 ,14 ft Caribbean Lake n Sea. Just got the registration numbers yesterday.