Need some quick advice, possibly picking up 26' project boat

Velislide

Seaman Apprentice
So I may be possibly picking up a project boat soon. It's a 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion, 26' with a 5.7 Merc. The boat is not in terrible shape, but has it's issues. Motor wasn't winterized properly, so froze and cracked the block, and cracked the exhaust manifolds. Before that, owner says it ran very nice, and was rebuilt 3 years prior. Boat also passed coast guard inspection 2 years ago.

So my main concern, is with rotten stringers or the transom. The hallway floor in the boat, was totally rotted out it looked like at one point, and was "replaced". The wood it was replaced with, was just off the shelf 1/2" and was already rotting out again, very punky and soft. Owner states the boat takes on no water, though hard to tell without putting it in the water, with the floors pulled.

I'm pretty confused about there being no visible stringer in this floor section though? Not sure how these are built, but figured there would be one. And I'm guessing this framing for the flooring that just rests on the hull, is not original? Trying to figure out how this boat was originally framed, for the flooring. And should there be flotation foam in these floors anywhere? Anyways, here's the pics. The floor I pulled up and strange framing I found will be the last picture.

Is this boat worth roughly 1500-2000$ the way it sits? I know the new captains seat was roughly 500$. Not looking for something perfect, and don't plan on taking the boat too far out on the lake if I get a good motor swapped in, and do some interior work. But don't want something that will just fall apart, either. Never had a fiberglass boat before.

Attachments

• photo265355.jpg
    photo265355.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265356.jpg
    photo265356.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265357.jpg
    photo265357.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265358.jpg
    photo265358.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265359.jpg
    photo265359.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265360.jpg
    photo265360.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265361.jpg
    photo265361.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265362.jpg
    photo265362.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265363.jpg
    photo265363.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 0

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A 26' boat is not required to meet the floatation requirements of boats under 20' so there may never have been any foam. If the guy were to take the boat to a dump it would cost him a lot to be rid of it so anything you pay him is a huge bonus. You are looking at a poorly maintained boat. You know that because it was not winterized and now has no engine, and the wood is all rotted. You have to decide how much you like it because I think you might have to take a lot apart to make sure it is good, or fix what is bad. The trailer might be fine.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
He need to pay you to haul it off. There will be rot in the stingers and you are looking at a hefty hefty hefty project there. Should you do it, drop in a 7.4 instead of the 5.7.

ahicks

Captain
Do not look at a boat like this (or any boat advertised as needing TLC) as a quick easy economical project that will have you on the water any time soon. This is one of those huge money pits you hear about. It will take somebody (very likely with a huge amount of experience!) willing to spend/do what it takes to get it sea worthy again.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The boat is worth less than zero in my mind. I would maybe accept as little as $4,000 for my time to tow it to the dump. It is worth whatever you feel however.

mr 88

Commander
Tighten up the laces on your sneakers,get in a crouch position,,,,Bang ! ,start running in the opposite direction.......

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you want a project and to spend every weekend 4 the next year redoing it. And have a good chunk of change at your disposal go 4 it. I'm redoing a 25 foot Tempest at the moment. 4 me it's the chellenge this will be my third boat restoration. I'm so itchy😉

roffey

Commander
the floors look in really bad shape. It looks like some one has just placed 2x4 on the hull with plywood over top. I suspect the trailer is worth something and if a project is what your looking for, you got it. I have seen one this forum where people have completely gutted and refit interiors and have ended up with fantistic results. Check out friscoboater

I think it was here I read someone post the free boats are the expensive ones.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What these guys all said. And for future reference, Coast Guard Auxiliary and US Power Squadron both offer free vessel safety inspections. "Coast Guard Inspected" is meaningless in terms of the condition of the boat. Just means the owner had all required safety gear aboard, and that the nav lights were working at the time of inspection. That's it.

My .02

mr 88

Commander
I would like to add to my post,you are going to spend more money on rebuilding that than going out and dropping 7 grand on a water ready boat,even if he gave it to you.. Unless you JB weld the cracked block your looking at 3,500 for a rebuilt block with manifolds. The owner states the boat leaks which could mean anything from a bad bellows [ 30.00 and you will need u joints and bearing,200.00 ] to a cracked hull . Upholstery will set you back a anywhere from 1-3 grand. The boat was never maintained and stringers and transom are probably rotted out. Just looking at the 2x4s thrown on the hull for cross braces along with the rest of your info tells me this thing is a lost cause. Do you want to be on the water or take on a year long project that will be sitting in your driveway and have your wife beefing you while it sits there and you keep throwing money at it ?

ahicks

Captain
If you want a project and to spend every weekend 4 the next year redoing it. And have a good chunk of change at your disposal go 4 it. I'm redoing a 25 foot Tempest at the moment. 4 me it's the chellenge this will be my third boat restoration. I'm so itchy😉

I have nothing against project boats for sure. I've done a few over the years as well. The thing is though, I went into them with my eyes wide open. If you're going to take something like this on, make sure you're starting with a boat that has something going for it. This boat has very little going for it and is a complete mess. You can find them with good engines and possibly ones that have been started on and abandoned where all the REALLY dirty work is already done.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
You would be further ahead to just have someone hit you in the head with a hammer,......

Or just putting money down on a new boat, Making payments and enjoying the time on the water,..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I used to have a very similar phrase in my sig line