1959 Texas Maid Tahitti 18' Aluminum Boat Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

opalized1

Seaman
I picked up an ole 18' Tahitti, and decided to make a fishing boat out of it, a few months of pain and wallet reduction, and a few great deals, like free boats with parts, I manage to get where I am today, but, I have a couple of the little port windows damaged and would like to find replacements, and until I could find a one piece windshield, I settled for a split window, so be lovin it if someone knew of a place to find parts for this ole ghost

Are Recruits now allowed to attach???

roffey

Commander
you have to post three time, so just post something, anything two more time and your golden.

Welcome aboard

opalized1

Seaman
Thanks guy, Great Site and Great having the resources of millions to assist.

opalized1

Seaman
Still Putting the final touches on this ole ghost, hoping to drop it in the water, in 2 weekends, all the wiring left, and hang the motor, I have a 115 Merc Thunderbolt, and a 95 Merc Thunderbolt, gonna start with the 95, its in running condition, the 115, needs serious wiring under the cover, but I think will run once wiring is completed.

opalized1

Seaman
same error, not authorized to create or remove attachments :-( doesn't seem to like my photos, get an error with most, all in jpeg format not sure why

imgoinmad

Recruit
looks like you replaced your port holes completely. What did you use/where did you find them? I just got a 1966 Texas Maid Fiesta which is missing a port hole :(

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Plenty of them when I was a teen boating around where NASA Clear Lake, Tx. is today. Lowes and HD sell plexiglass sheets. Get one and using your old window panes, cut out new ones. Leave the wrapper on and cut with a saw. I just use a regular hand held electric jig saw with a fine toothed steel cutting type blade. Water helps keep the glass cool and cutting.

Drill the holes using a drill press sitting on the highest speed available and go slow. If you can get sheet metal drill bits it will help in reducing breaking which usually occurs, if at all, when the flukes of the bit break through the bottom. Sheet metal bits are made to cut the perimeter of the hole just before the hole is drilled.......like using a glass cutter on glass where you scribe a line before you attempt to penetrate rather than cutting the center and working out to the perimeter like regular drill bits. Water on the joint while drilling will help too.

On the windshield, google it. Check ebay. Check marine suppliers online.

Kevpaul98

Recruit
I am JUST finding this site & forum...I have a 1959 Tahiti as well. I LOVE THIS BOAT! I would love to find a single piece windshield as well....Until then, I'll deal with the cracked one :). I tried adding a pic, but was not allowed. I'll try again soon

Kevpaul98

Recruit
I added my boat pic as my profile picture :). After my next post, I'll upload a few more of the boat.

opalized1

Seaman
Just an update, one year later boats been on the water most every Sunday, having a Great time catching fish and motoring around, its been a fabulous way to spend those few days in life when there are no other commitments. Will say the 1150 with electric trim is a burden for the back of the boat, working on getting the 950 running perfect, and put it back on, seems theres a 50 lb weight difference, and at some point locating an under floor fuel tank and replacing the 2, 11 gallon tanks sitting right near the back of the boat, with 2 batteries snuggly placed between them. Been working on getting timing absolutely perfect, to try and gain the 1000 rpms im currently missing.
Currently, i can get 38 mph with 2 people in the boat, at 4200 rpms, with what i believe to be a 14 pitch prop, now im guessing that the boat is around 2200 lbs loaded with 2 people, so its not so bad really with such a heavy Boat and per picture attached you can see, she squatts pretty good in the back idling along

Attachments

• photo297131.jpg
    photo297131.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo297132.jpg
    photo297132.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo297133.jpg
    photo297133.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 3
  • photo297134.jpg
    photo297134.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo297135.jpg
    photo297135.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo297136.jpg
    photo297136.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo297137.jpg
    photo297137.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 3

oldrem

Commander
Great to see a follow up. Looks great! Glad you're enjoying it.

1959 Tahiti

Recruit
Hello everyone, unfortunately, looks like there is not much activity on these Texas Maid forums....... I picked up a 1959 Texas maid Tahiti boat that I started doing a full restoration on. Stripped the paint and polished the aluminum hull. Looks beautiful.... wondering if anyone else did this and how long the shine lasts. I absolutely love the look of these old boats. Nothing like it out on the lakes out here in Arizona. Would love to see pictures of what people have done to their boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.