Need some help please

Schleppenbach

Recruit
I just joined this site today so i am very excited. I recently got a 1998 Sylvan 180 Viper with a 135 Mercury Optimax . My problem i am having i am looking for a windshield, it did not come with one. I have been looking everywhere for one, but no luck. I believe i can cross reference Star Craft 186 with the 98 sylvan but i am not sure.. I would love any help on this boat. Traded my 94 f250 rust bucket for this boat so i thought i got pretty good deal, since i only paid 1800 for pickup. I will be using it for fishing and recreational with the family an friends.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Hi and welcome to iBoats. I don't have any windshield leads for you, just thought I'd welcome you aboard.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: to the best place on the web for everything boats.

You may have to look for a used windshield on a boat with similar dimensions to yours. Brand wont be as important as the right width and height you're looking for. You may want to check with local marinas to see if any have a scrap/salvage yard where you might find a good candidate, or keep a watch on craigslist.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Sylvan is partly owned by a company in Minong WI Link rec. same family makes the jerky with bigfoot commercials. might start there.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sylvan is partly owned by a company in Minong WI Link rec. same family makes the jerky with bigfoot commercials. might start there.

???

Starcraft/Sylvan/SmokerCraft are owned by the Schlock family out of Indiana, unless something has recently changed.

As far as a windshield goes, good luck.
Might have a chance with a surplus vendor like Kendor marine or Great Lakes Skipper.

But you are likely going to need to just make do with something that fits the boat.

A photo of the boat may help us. Is this a bow rider, dual console, closed bow ??????
width
depth
height

And how much are you willing to pay?
Likely to fall in the $800-$2500 price range.

Last edited:

harleyman1975

Ensign
Any Northwoods boat you purchase is made by sylvan/smokercraft. Northwoods boats used to be sold exclusively by Link Rec. There is a connection there someplace.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Northwoods, Mirrocraft, and Blue Fin ( and probably others ) have bought bare hulls from Starcraft.
Northwoods also bought other hull, and possibly made some too.
I believe that all came to an end when Brunswick bought out Starcraft.
But now that the Schrock family has bought Starcraft back, who knows what the future holds.

Also, everything went wonky with the Link family a few years back.
Started in 2005, then 2009:
http://www.twincities.com/2009/07/1...s-man-bilked-company-trying-to-exact-revenge/

Then 2011:
http://blogs.findlaw.com/decided/20...ack-link-must-pay-son-5m-for-ousting-him.html

Then 2016:
http://www.apg-wi.com/decision-made...cle_2a0fd867-8cf1-5804-9cf5-8653eccd9a84.html

And who knows what else transpired. Gotta love family squabbles.