Bennet vs Lenco Trim Tabs ???

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have already used the Nauticus tabs and I like them. However I use my rib to cross out to the Channel Islands some 26 miles. I have learned that although the Nauticus help, adjustable trim tabs would help more for my needs. Doing some research it seems the Lenco would be a nice efficient alternative to the tried and true Hydraulic Bennet trim tabs. However I have heard that some older Lenco actuators have leaked water past the o-rings. Have they improved? Can anyone give some experiences with either Lenco or Bennetts? Pro & Cons of each? Thanks.<br /><br />Boatster<br /><br />My boat: Avon Searider 4 meter deep V-hull rib

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bennet vs Lenco Trim Tabs ???

I can only say they "supposedly" have improved from what I've heard. I just installed a pair of the Edge Mount Lenco's and I love them but they've only been in the water for a week or so. My mechanic said I will be very pleased with the product. Guess we'll see.....the jury is still out.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have installed both and the Lenco's are decidedly easier to install. No pump, no hydraulic fittings etc. I have not personally used the Lenco's; but the guy I helped to install his loves them.<br /><br />I have had two issues with my Bennetts, a leaky cylinder (my fault, I think I over torqued the thru transom tube to the cylinder), and there is an interrupt switch to protect the pump motor in case you try and push down and up at the same time that failed. The support from Bennett however is outstanding and they replaced the interrupt switch out of warranty without even being asked!!!<br /><br />My last thought is that all of the high performance tabs are hydraulic, so there must be some benefit to that design vs. solely electric.<br /><br />You will love adjustable tabs!

D

DJ

Nobody beats Bennett's customer service.<br /><br />They are in a class all their own. Fist class, that is.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok So I'm gathering that the Bennetts are a little more complicated to install and maintain but the customer support is A+. For Lenco, the install and use is simpler but the big ?? is if the actuators will leak water in and foul the motor. This must be a gross over simplified comparison, but this is all I've gathered so far. Some like Bennett, some like Lenco. <br /><br />Can we hear the pro's for Bennett? Tabman?<br />Is there a rep for Lenco on this forum?<br /><br />I can only imagine this is a stick possibly loaded gun question for a comparison. Maybe there is no comparison but rather advantages for each in slightly different applications. Can someone enlighten me?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Have You considered the QL Boat Trim System?<br /><br /><br />
QLBTS.JPG

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never Heard of them....looked a little on the internet but didn't read to much. Look weird.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Window squeeges? :D :D <br /><br />Anyways I must admit I'm leaning towards Lenco at the moment. Ease of installation and in "theory" less chance for things to break. I dunno it really depends on how waterproof the actuators are. <br /><br />boatster

stevens

Hi Guys,<br /><br />The QL trim tabs are a new concept to us ordinary boaters, but apparently old news in larger commercial crafts. They were briefly discussed, also by Tabman, in an earlier thread here:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011944 <br /><br />They have the potential of easy installation, no corrosion, few mechanical failures, and instant response. I would be curious, however, about their effect at lower speeds.<br /><br />An aquaintance of mine, in the boating business, installed them this weekend. He reported back to me that they had far exceeded his exectations, also at lower, sub-planing speeds.<br /><br />If they really work, I wouldn't be surprised if they will be the next big thing in trim tabs. Apparently they are patented, though.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I installed Bennett trim tabs on my 1980 boat back in 1981.<br />It was easy to do and had templates to set up to drill all the holes. <br />Hydralic lines are plastic and flex so easy to hook up both cylinders to the power unit.<br />I did at a later date put a shim behind the power unit to level it so fluid is level in the unit.<br />Have had no problems yet but did change control from joy stick to double rocker switches.<br />I just liked it better.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Boatster; <br /><br />Are you looking at this installation on the 13' rib?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a little biased towards Bennett but must admit the 4 boats that I have had with tabs have all been Bennett. On my previous boat I ordered an installed a trimdicator kit, both the kit and instructions were complete and no problems with it. Customer service from personal experience and from other posts I have read is second to none. Tom McGow (aka Tabman) lives and breathes to help folks out with problems, diagnostics and parts. If I was ever buying tabs to install they would be Bennett without hesitation.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Does any body have pictures showing these QL tabs installed? Tabman said he has seen tests on smaller boats; are those tests available anywhere. I found the QL site underwhelming, no installed view and no real description of how they work . . .<br /><br />Based on the note from Tabman on the small boat performance, I stick with my comments on this and the previous thread linked above.

bossee

Hi Quietcat<br /><br />There is a PDF manual (in Swedish) avaliable here:<br /><br /> http://www.drevia.se/testrapport/BTS.pdf <br /><br />The pictures there shuld show how it is installed at least.<br /><br />Strangely enough I have not seen any boat Magazine (here in Sweden) tested the QL Boat Trim System (yet).<br />They are recommended for boats up to 50 knots and for 15 - 50 ft boats, planing or semiplaning boats.<br />If they are as good as the rumor say it is little strange almost nobody has them in use yet. On the other hand I do not think they have been out the market for so long time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bo.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> Boatster; <br /><br />Are you looking at this installation on the 13' rib?
Hi John,<br /><br />Yes I am looking to install adjustable trim tabs on my 13' Avon Searider. The tabs I'm considering are 9"x9" in size. What do you think?<br /><br />The issue I have with the Nauticus tabs is the compromise between heading and returning seas. I go out in pretty rough conditions sometimes and I need more down force on the tabs but I can't afford to do that since eventually I would be returning with the sea. Otherwise for nearshore cruising around they work great! Actually I will be putting the Nauticus tabs on my other rib for nearshore use.<br /><br />Boatster

QC

Supreme Mariner

I looked at the manual and I still can't figure out how they work. Do the little wiper looking things extend? Is there some sort of magnetic vaccuum vortex? Little blowers and suckers that push and pull?<br /><br />This inquiring mind has to know!!! :confused:

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Have you tried increasing the pressure just to see what happens on the return trip. Obviously in a test situation.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Boatster,<br /><br />I will leave the Bennett v Lenco debate to the others since I am rather biased ;) But Lenco 9 x 9 or Bennett M80 8 x 10 would be a good choice for your rib. We make a smaller 6 x 8 (model F-14) for some small flats type boats, but I would stick with the size range you are looking at for the best results, particularly in a head sea.<br /><br />For those of you interested in how interseptors work is is a good article by Maritime Dynamics, a company who makes them for larger vessels. http://maritimedynamics.com/interceptor.pdf <br /><br />I hope this is useful.<br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine