Stuck in saltwater after trailer breakdown

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Mike,

Given that you're in Everett, you should consider dipping your boat and trailer into fresh water on the way home after being in the Sound. This will help protect your trailer and your motor from corrosion. There are ramps on the Snohomish river near Everett. I do this in Seattle after boating in the Sound. I dip the trailer and boat into freshwater in the Fremont Cut and run the motor for a few minutes. It's nice to have that option in our area.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Or simply flush the boat motor and trailer frame rails with neutrasalt when you get home

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have checked the other day with diving goggles and have not seen any growth yet after a week and a half just the brown ring from the marina water someone mentioned.

Mike

[/QUOTE

55F water temp, man that's a serious shrivel factor going there beside hypothermia just to check for barnacles. Wowza.

Mikos

Cadet
Yeah the Everett boat launch has a spot where you can flush the engine and hose the boat and trailer off. Many weekends we did also one day salt water followed by a day in fresh water I.e. Lake Stevens or Lake Washington. If that did not happen then I used the second day of the weekend to cleanup the boat and trailer at home so I was thinking I was doing all I could to prevent corrosion, but alas no I learned so much in the last couple of weeks. Thanks to all of you for the great help.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
For what you will be paying for a marina wash, an expensive sounding powder coated axle, will be needing another soon, and slip fees, and bottom paint, and who knows what else seems like a new trailer could be had more quickly at close tot he same cost

As to the bottom paint, unless you are leaving in the water why are you getting it? Your initial post states just day trips with good cleanups.

tpenfield

Staff member
Since the water is colder, you should experience less marine growth (barnacles, etc). Getting barnacle off a hull is not a trivial process.

Mikos

Cadet
As to the bottom paint, unless you are leaving in the water why are you getting it? Your initial post states just day trips with good cleanups.
​Oh I see my understanding was it would be better to get the bottom paint regardless ....
​if I wanted to do it though in Everett I could get the haul out, cleanup and paint done for around 1000.

​I also ditched the trailer shop as I found out their prices were ridiculous as was stated earlier. I was able to order the whole axle with wheel hub kits for 200,- including shipping from the manufacturer. So that drops the cost.

​I asked around a new trailer (galvanized) would cost between 4500 - 5800 depending on what I wanted to put on and then add the setup cost for the rails at 450, so that was way more than I was willing to pay as I am planning to upgrade the boat in 2 years or so anyhow.

​thanks again everyone so much great insight

Mike

tpenfield

Staff member
Seems way high for a small trailer. Should be about half that.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
​Oh I see my understanding was it would be better to get the bottom paint regardless ....
​if I wanted to do it though in Everett I could get the haul out, cleanup and paint done for around 1000.

Mike

Once you paint, you need to maintain it and repaint every 2-3 years I believe. It is also a rough surface, so your performance is impacted a bit. My boat came with paint that wasn't maintained and has several layers flaking off. The cost to remove it and get the surface back to smooth gel coat is pretty expensive, ...in Seattle. If you're going to trailer it and only have it in the water for a few days at a time, I would leave the paint off.

Mikos

Cadet
No Title

Thanks everyone, makes sense to save the money then. Here are two pictures of the two axle ends one almost pristine and the other totally messed up.

Attachments

• photo266015.JPG
    photo266015.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266016.JPG
    photo266016.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: