1972 Terry Bass Boat

adam lancia

Cadet
My family is going to be making the trek from Alabama back to Nova Scotia, across to Toronto, then back to Alabama this summer. We looked into buying a utility trailer, then renting one, then decided that didn't make much sense. So here's where we're at with it now:
We figured that we won't have room for everything in our small SUV for the long drive back to Canada this summer (next week actually), and aren't really thrilled about spending money on a utility trailer. So we decided to look at cheap boats and found a 15' 1972 Terry Bass Boat with a 40hp Johnson 40EL-73D outboard and a 40lb MinnKota Edge (brand new battery too). It's listed as weighing 835 lbs without any other equipment on it. The stick steer is kind of cool (works, even the manual tension adjuster), and the fact that it has a flat floor with a fair amount of room is a big plus. The engine started right up but needs an electric choke override lever (an $11 part online from what I've seen). The trailer has new tires, bearing buddy's and freshly packed bearings, and it tilts. The guy had it on the water in March to ensure it ran and didn't take on water (passed both tests I'm told but he said he'll take me out on Monday for further proof). I think we're going to make an offer on the boat for the simple fact that we'd be killing 2 birds with one stone. It'll be big enough to haul the extra stuff that won't fit in the car for the trip back, and we'll have a boat!

There were a couple of small dings in the front center of the hull, presumably from being driven up on shore. The transom looks good, no rot or cracks that I could see. What else do you think I need to look for once we get on the water?

Lastly, and probably most importantly considering the drive we're about to do: how does towing capacity translate into actual weight of all items being towed...? Is there anything I need to be especially considerate of when towing? Obviously we won't be able to travel as quickly as we would without it behind us, but what else? I'll register it here in Alabama before we leave, what kind of documentation do I need to bring in order to cross into Canada and back into the U.S.? Do I need insurance for the boat/trailer as in Canada, or am I covered by my car insurance while towing it...? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

https://tuscaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/6121706823.html

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
how does towing capacity translate into actual weight of all items being towed...?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... You have to be Under the max rated weight, with the actual weight,....
'n that's per axle, as well as total gross weights,...

My guess is, yer plan is flawed,.. I'm guessin' the trailer under the boat is rated for only slightly more than the boat itself, as most are,....

adam lancia

Cadet
Thanks for the fast response! That's what I figured about the weights but wanted to be sure.

Any idea how I would go about figuring out the trailer's rated carrying capacity?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the fast response! That's what I figured about the weights but wanted to be sure.

Any idea how I would go about figuring out the trailer's rated carrying capacity?

Not sure how you could figure out the true carrying capacity. However, you do have another option. You could slide the boat off onto some old tires and then make a floor and side box type setup to use it for a utility trailer. You know it hauls the boat, so you know you could load it up to that weight anyway.

And you could weigh the boat and trailer at a truck stop or a landfill weigh station, and then weigh the trailer after the boat is remove to get that boat weight. JMHO

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... You can get a vague idea by checkin' the weight ratin' stamped into the tires,....

You can get a better idea, by checkin' the diameter, 'n sizes of the axle quills,....
Like a 1" straight shaft quill are usually 1000lb/ 1500 lb axles,...

Measurin' 'n Id'in' the springs can also give an idea of the weight ratin',...

adam lancia

Cadet
We'll probably end up going the converted trailer route once we save up enough for a newer boat. Until then, we'll see how this goes.

I was thinking about checking the tires, also for speed rating just to be safe. Any idea how I would go about ID'ing the springs...?

Thanks!!!

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
How bout renting a Uhaul or a Penske trailer? Or check with your local rental center on renting a small trailer.

Depending upon how long you will be on the road of course.

adam lancia

Cadet
Looked into renting a trailer and with the amount of time we'd be traveling (now through mid-July) we would have to rent one 3 times because the rental fee only covers 7 days of use. Plus they would all be one-way rentals, further upping the price. Even if the boat ends up only lasting a year or two, there's still a good trolling motor and batter plus a 40hp outboard (old, but serviceable) and a trailer I can convert into a cargo trailer for a couple hundred more than the rental fees would have tallied for the summer.

adam lancia

Cadet
Well, the trip went off without a hitch. Trailer/boat didn't give a single issue the whole 2,000 miles. I'm working on a few things (depth finder/transducer mount mainly) and will be getting on the water in the next couple of days, I'll keep you posted.