Boat handling - Inboard

g1vetter

Seaman
I'm about 6 weeks away from putting my old boat in the water for the first time. It's a 26' John Allmand.
Now, I have years of boating experience but I'm guessing this Single Screw, Straight Inboard, Rudder setup will handle differently than the Outboards I am used to. Also, at 26', it's about 10 feet longer than my previous boats.
What say you? Any tips?

alldodge

Staff member
The rudder does nothing in reverse, so turning the wheel hard over will do nothing.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
On some boats, reverse will " catwalk" to one side or another, hard to correct. I've found with some of them, you throw it in neutral, and then it will respond a bit. Not perfect, bit it may help.

dwco5051

Commander
The rudder does nothing in reverse, so turning the wheel hard over will do nothing.

If you have room use your rudder to turn the stern towards where you want to back to by bumping the throttle in forward, Then reverse to go that direction. Takes lots of practice

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The key to understanding the rudder issues with an inboard is to know that the rudder is sized to be functional with the prop wash going past it. That means when the prop is not pushing water past it the rudder is too small and not effective. When in forward it will steer easily and well. When in neutral or reverse the prop has as much, or more effect than the rudder.
When docking it is easiest to dock on one side but harder on the other because the prop can walk the stern in one direction. With a left hand prop the stern will walk to starboard. Docking to the starboard side is easy with a left hand prop. You angle in at 45? and steer left with the boat in gear. That starts to move the stern to starboard. Don't touch the wheel. Put it in reverse to slow forward momentum and thee stern walks to starboard more. Bump back into forward and the stern kicks more to starboard. Bump back in reverse again. Repeat as necessary and the stern moves to the dock. You do have to practice but you never have to touch the wheel once you get it. Just the throttle. It can be so easy. It is opposite with a Right prop.

Remember when loading that if you put the boat in neutral that the stern may move to starboard rather than staying straight if you coast onto a trailer.

Pick a buoy on the water and practice putting the bow and stern up to the buoy. This is great for control with no risk for damage. Have fun.

Ned L

Commander
Rallyart's advice is good. My only thought is that you probably have s right hand engine, so everything will be reversed (stern walks to port in reverse, easier to come to a pier 'port side to'.)

g1vetter

Seaman
Thanks guys. What kind of RPM is this thing designed to run? 26' Express Cruiser, v8 351w, Straight Inboard.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It should be about 4400 RPM. It will probably turn faster than that depending on the prop, but I think that is the spec redline. Faster just means shorter engine life.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Get a good crew and two boathooks for starters and as you gain experience you will be able to do it with less and less help. when leaving the dock slip one line at a time and pivot off of the one still attached and then slip the second once pointing in the right direction.