What boat is it?

Yatzekcs

Cadet
Hi All,
New to the forum and new to boats. I bought this aluminium boat last year with 9.8hp merc 110. Now I would like to register it and upgrade the motor but don't know what brand is it and what is the max HP I can put on it. Can anyone help me identifying it?

Thanks all.

Lawnmower-Don

Seaman Apprentice
There should be a plate on the transom somewhere. Mine had nothing.no plate no numbers had to title and register as homemade

Yatzekcs

Cadet
I checked it everywhere and no plates, no numbers etc. Only the fancy stickers 😀

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If it's a 1972 or newer, there should be a Hull Identification Number plate riveted to the starboard stern with the HIN, which will tell you make and year.

On that boat, it would be above where it says MRAH and could be under the Rapala decal or behind the bolted on rod holder. Check around that area for the HIN.

Getting boats titled varies by state and can be problematic in some areas. Other places, not so much.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
That's a good question. What is the size, length, width (beam) and depth at the deepest portion? That will give an idea as to max H.P.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What does the title and registration say it is

Yatzekcs

Cadet
If it's a 1972 or newer, there should be a Hull Identification Number plate riveted to the starboard stern with the HIN, which will tell you make and year.

On that boat, it would be above where it says MRAH and could be under the Rapala decal or behind the bolted on rod holder. Check around that area for the HIN.

Getting boats titled varies by state and can be problematic in some areas. Other places, not so much.
thanks - I will check more carefully around these places.
I'm in Ontario, Canada and to register I need bill of sale and the boat make, model, if possible HIN and a pic of it. So far I have the bill and a picture :)

Last edited:

Yatzekcs

Cadet
That's a good question. What is the size, length, width (beam) and depth at the deepest portion? That will give an idea as to max H.P.
thanks - length is 14ft, transom height 16", transom width 56', beam 64". Don't have the depth tonight but will get it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Yatzekcs

Cadet
What does the title and registration say it is
The thing is that I don't have anything else but the bill of sale. At the time the guy told me that for 9.8hp I don't need registration which is true just now I would like to upgrade to 20 - 25hp.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The boat will be maxed out at 20HP. I would not recommend anything more than a 20. Here in Ontario anything rated less than 10HP requires no registration. Thus manufacturers rate their 10 HP motors at 9.9.

Just a guess, the profile looks like an old Lund, early 70"s. Low aft and high bow.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Looks very much like an old "Lone Star" I had... Same size and used a 35 hp Evenrude (40 max by the sticker )

Yours was probably was rated 3 or 4 people or about 500 lbs (that includes the outboard...)

There are several makers that put out similar boats appx 1960's to early 1970's with HP ratings varying based on how well supported the transom was. That looks like a well supported transom...

Yatzekcs

Cadet
Looks very much like an old "Lone Star" I had... Same size and used a 35 hp Evenrude (40 max by the sticker )

Yours was probably was rated 3 or 4 people or about 500 lbs (that includes the outboard...)

There are several makers that put out similar boats appx 1960's to early 1970's with HP ratings varying based on how well supported the transom was. That looks like a well supported transom...
thanks for the info. Tried to search for some pictures of Lone Star and couldn't find one that would look like mine. But like you said, transom support looks strong so it should take a bigger motor than 9.8hp. With the one I have it is just so slow, won't go on plane and GPS showed max speed of 14kmh only.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not unlike a well known brand across the pond here. Google variants on Bonwitco boats. Particularly like a bonwitco 375....not positive though.

airshot

Rear Admiral
It may be a "Blue Fin" by the shape of the interior ribs, but just a guess. I had a StarCraft with about the same dimensions and it was rated for a 35hp motor. I had a 15hp and it worked good for just one guy or two smaller guys. Most boats that size in my area run a 25hp motor for two adults and gear. Three people would be OK for cruising but to many to fish out of.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
For remote-steering boats, the formula is: (stern width in decimal feet x length in decimal feet x 2) ? 90 = max. horsepower.

For tiller-steer boats with a flat bottom, like a jon boat: (W x L x 0.5) ? 15 = max. horsepower

For all other tiller-steer boats: (W x L X 0.8) ? 25 = max. horsepower

thanks - length is 14ft, transom height 16", transom width 56', beam 64".

based on your measurements your boat is rated for 25hp PERIOD. No more than that unless you get a bigger boat or put in a steering wheel and console. with remote steering it would be rated at 35hp

you still need to take care of the registration issue

Yatzekcs

Cadet
For remote-steering boats, the formula is: (stern width in decimal feet x length in decimal feet x 2) – 90 = max. horsepower.

For tiller-steer boats with a flat bottom, like a jon boat: (W x L x 0.5) – 15 = max. horsepower

For all other tiller-steer boats: (W x L X 0.8) – 25 = max. horsepower

based on your measurements your boat is rated for 25hp PERIOD. No more than that unless you get a bigger boat or put in a steering wheel and console. with remote steering it would be rated at 35hp

you still need to take care of the registration issue

Thanks Scott for the calculations. I would be happy with 25hp as well just the registration issue. Is there any other way to register withoit knowing the make/model of the boat? I spent days looking at 14 ft aluminum boats and can't find one like mine. The guy i bought it from is not replying.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Having just read the info online, why are you trying to register the boat instead simply licensing it?
Registering a vessel
From Transport Canada

In Canada, you may either register or license a pleasure craft. A commercial vessel must be registered unless exempted from registration under the Vessel Registration and Tonnage Regulations, subsection 1.1, ?Exempted Classes of Vessels.? The Canada Shipping Act, 2001 also sets out the relevant requirements.

For a full explanation of the distinctions between the terms, see the definitions of ?pleasure craft? and ?commercial vessels.?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm#obtain

The info online indicates either 1 or the other is required for pleasure boats. Are you intending to use it commercially, guide boat or rental? If not, the it seems licensing would be the route to go using the pdf form found here:
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/search/results?FormNumber=84-0172

It is possible to do it online as well....

Yatzekcs

Cadet
Having just read the info online, why are you trying to register the boat instead simply licensing it?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm#obtain

The info online indicates either 1 or the other is required for pleasure boats. Are you intending to use it commercially, guide boat or rental? If not, the it seems licensing would be the route to go using the pdf form found here:
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/search/results?FormNumber=84-0172

It is possible to do it online as well....

Thank you, You are right, I used a wrong word. I don't need to register but license it. With the boat licensed I can put a bigger motor than 9.9hp. The form asks for Make and Model but went through it and these 2 fields are not mandatory so I left them empty. Now I have to wait a few days to find out if it will be accepted.