Sea Hunt Triton 172 usless anchor locker hatch

johnnybgood

Seaman
My son just bought a 1998 Sea hunt CC Sea Hunt 172 in great shape after we cleaned it up. The anchor locker hatch in the front of the of the boat is usless it is so small 9" X 12" can't fit an anchor of any size through it. My thougth is to get a 20" x 10" hatch cut the openinig bigger and make it functional. The anchor locker is located under the front raised deck. Any thoughts on will increaasing the door size affect the strenght of the deck. Will try to post a picture if needed

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Please do post pics.

If the 1998 is the same as my 2000 (and I think they are the same from 98 to 04 or 05), then I think a Danforth style anchor is supposed to "dangle" in the forward rectangular hole under that foremost triangular hatch, while the rode and line are stored inthe larger tub just behind that hole.

That said, none of my anchors fit that hole right, and web searching suggests that no one can find one that fits right. I just keep my anchor laying on top of the piled-up line in the tub.

BTW, I love this hull...but there are SO MANY things the manufacturer could have done better, this anchor locker and hatch being one.

johnnybgood

Seaman
Sea Hunt is still made in Columbia SC not far from where I am. I think I will give them a call and see what they say about putting in a bigger hatch, I would rather store the anchor it there than in the fish box if possible. My only concern is possibly making the deck edge weak and have it crack. Did a major rewire on the boat what a mess in the console, everything is working now. Boat has 90Hp Evenrude Ocean pro runs good. Will get the wife to take pics. Did a total rebuild of a 21' Steiger Craft a couple of years ago posted the rebuild on here

johnnybgood

Seaman
Contacted Sea Hunt they did not recommend cutting he hatch opening bigger. They said contact a sea hunt dealer who may know of an anchor that will fit. After thinking about it my plan is to purchase a 23' x 10" hatch cut a piece of plywood that matches the hatch opening cover it in e[poxy and secure it to the inside of the anchor locker with epoxy I have leftover. Basicly making a backing plate the hatch can be screwed to and the plywood will give added strength to the deck edge. Any one see a flaw in my thinking let me know.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I'm having difficulty picturing what you're thinking of, can you take some pics, maybe sketch on them with Paint or somesuch program, and post?

Also, let me know if you do contact a dealer who comes up with a specific make/model of anchor that fits the locker as-is.

johnnybgood

Seaman
Have been on vacation for 2 weeks, have not found an anchor but this is what I did found a 24" X 9.5" hatch on eBay ~$40 Took the old useless hatch out and made a template of the new hatch opening traced this on where the old hatch was and cut it out with a saber saw, took a 3/4" piece of plywood and trace the template on to it and cut the opening to match the new hatch. Fit the 3/4 plywood on the inside of the compartment and fit the new hatch in place. screwed the new hatch into the plywood so now the fibergalss of the compartment is sandwiiched between the plywood and the new hatch. Got on top of the deck and jumped, solid as a rock. Now I can put a danforth anchor with anchor rope and chain in what was before usless space and it is easy access The plywood I sealed in epoxy.

Last edited: