3d Printed Switch Panel

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have been looking for a switch panel for my 13' whaler for two weeks! I had very little space left on the dash to fit it. I was about to give up and then I remembered that I had access to a 3D Printer! IMG_4805.JPGIMG_4804.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice layout and usage of available equipment. My only suggestion is take a sharpie or whatever and go over the raised lettering so it show up better and you will have it perfect. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just a word of caution, most SLA and 3D print resins are not UV stable

b.gagnon

I printed it in ABS so it should last for 3-4 years without any issue (If I paint it longer).... By then I hope the boat will have all new wood and I will get to pick the layout and use a standard panel! There is actually a UV resistant filament (ASA) available. I am thinking of getting a roll to make other items....

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats Cool!! i wish i had that id print a new dash piece to replace my cluster with individual gauges

sam am I

Commander
Nice! Use mine (Autocad to draw, export .stl's and Dremel printer) all the time to make various pieces and parts. I use PLA, appears it resists UV quite nicely by default. AND it's eatable...Sorta ;)

What is your source file format?

Also sometimes if the layers work out, I'll switch colors for like the raised text and such.......

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This is interesting. Presently I am helping my adult son assembly his 3D printer in my shop right now. It only has a million parts and we are almost ready to install the electronics now. It seems to be a pretty top notch printer, but then I seriously don't know much about them. But I think he paid about $500 dollars for it, and being so popular, he had to wait for them to catch up to the orders for a couple months. So who knows. :noidea:

b.gagnon

I did it in SolidWorks and saved it as an STL. then converted to an X3g... I was using a dual head extruder so I could have done the font in a diff color... but I only had White for ABS!

sam am I

Commander
Ahhhhhhhh, SolidWorks I haven't used ever, very robust program I hear with what some say has perhaps a more intuitive interface for "solid works"........hmmmm, go figure.

I have Inventor, just seem to lean more into the old school Autocad world, but current'ish w 2016, nice program still cept Autodesk is starting the subscription only BS. Cut my teeth back in the day with R9/10 ya know. It's[I'm] an old shoe......

I'm a bit jealous of the dual extruder......maybe soon, xmas is coming.

Last edited: