Battery Details for Noob

jwlanca

Recruit
Hey all!
I inherited a 1969 Starcraft with a 1959 Mark 35A outboard as my first setup. I'm trying to test the motor, but to do that first I'll need a battery! I'm having an unfortunate problem of drowning in too many battery details/arguments browsing the internet...what kind of battery should I be getting (voltage)? 12v, 24v, 27v? It's an incredibly simple boat...just some lights and the motor. I'm fine with 1 battery for cranking, 1 for lights, or 1 that does both--- just really looking for a starting point on the whole project in regards to the voltage/amps. It'll just be used for Oklahoma lakes.
Thanks!
-Josh

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well first things first jwlanca, :welcome: to iboats. Nice to have you aboard with us...

Okay if I am understand you correctly, you want to buy a battery for starting your engine and the typical navigation lights...right? If so, just buy a standard marine cranking battery for your boat, and wire up everything off that one battery. You really only need a second battery once you install either Trolling Motor and/or Stereo System and Fish Locators and such things. Then you would want another battery for those options. And the reason for that second battery is so you don't run down your cranking battery while using those other option while out on the water, to allow you to get back in.

I hope that explains the battery issue. And yes, your only need one 12 volt battery, not two for 24 volts. And I never heard of a 27 volt battery, so I don't know where that came from. JMHO

robert graham

Admiral
If you just need a battery to start/test your motor just pull the one out of your car or truck and hook it up to the outboard.....save having to run out and buy a $100 battery just to test the outboard...

roffey

Commander
... and I bet there is a pull start on that motor...35 hp should not be to bad to pull. You could wrap a cord around the fly wheel on some of the older motors.