Transom drain plug

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sure this topic has been covered many times before but i can't seem to find the answer that settles my nerves. My transom drain has the twist lock or snap in style. I use the twist lock inserted from the outside. I notice this year while getting things ready for the season that my plug looked cracked. I went a purchased two new ones, when I install one of the new ones it will never tighten up enough that I can't pull it out. When I try the old one it will go in and tighten up that I cannot pull it out. What am I missing? Can the tube be that worn that the new, softer rubber won't grab? I've been considering installing a treaded type drain just so my mind is at ease. Help?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few things come to mind

if the tube is in a wood transom, it could be the wood is rotten, and the tube ballooned out over the years

if the boat is aluminum with an aluminum tube, not probable

the rubber plugs are nothing more than a t-handled bolt, two washers and a nut squishing a piece of rubber. as you tighten the rubber expands.

two things that can happen with the t-handle plugs:
the threads on the shaft of the new plug are either boogered or not deep enough, and your just spinning the threaded end vs tightening
the threaded end washer is no-longer bonded to the rubber, allowing it to spin vs tighten

if it takes a lot of force to pull the plug out, dont worry, water pressure is trying to push it in. however if you can pull the plug out with 2 fingers, look at the plug to see if its defective

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Look at the back of the plug, you will see the flat threaded washer, hold that and twist the plug a bit, it will expand the rubber enough to install it and tighten it. If it still spins, I've found slightly pushing in and down it will hold the washer till it gets enough tension to tighten on its own. Of course the best is a screw in garboard plug, just be sure to seal the screws, and don't overtighten it to the point of it gets hard to come out. It's a tapered brass pipe plug, just snug enough to hold but not come loose.

robert graham

Admiral
Check/clean any oil from plug and opening....mine had some dirty oil from bilge on plug causing it to slide out too easily...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Is it possible to insert the plug from the inside? I was always afraid that kind of friction fit plug could easily pull out if you hit a piece of wood or the bottom.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, installing the plug from the inside would be very difficult. I did notice an oily substance in the tube. It's not installed through the wood part of the transom. I did make sure the threaded t handle was tightening the rubber, you can turn it to the point that a pair of pliers are needed to tighten any more and you can still grab it and pull it out. The old one once installed can not be pulled out until loosened up. Maybe I have a bad plug?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Is it possible to insert the plug from the inside? I was always afraid that kind of friction fit plug could easily pull out if you hit a piece of wood or the bottom.

if it is a screw it will never get hit, the flip up ones could if you flip down.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks, installing the plug from the inside would be very difficult. I did notice an oily substance in the tube. It's not installed through the wood part of the transom. I did make sure the threaded t handle was tightening the rubber, you can turn it to the point that a pair of pliers are needed to tighten any more and you can still grab it and pull it out. The old one once installed can not be pulled out until loosened up. Maybe I have a bad plug?

so both new ones you bought are doing the same? if so may be a brand thing, tolerances can be different form different mfg's. I have a truck door full of them from my various boats over the years and they all act differently my current boat. Go buy another brand.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Stupid question, but are the new plugs the same diameter as the old plug? And are they the same length?
If the old plug tightens up sufficiently, there's no reason why a new plug shouldn't do the same.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, just figured out that the new plugs have something oily on them. I cleaned them with some alcohol and they tighten up fine. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Thanks for the help!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

On mine it had the screw in rubber plug when I got it. It would tighten up, but it was deformed, I bought a new plug, and had the same issue as you. I found the tube it goes in to was cracked/broken inside. A new transom and tube resulted in a good fit.

Attachments

• photo263714.jpg
    photo263714.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 0