Gas Kick Back

jim stypczynski

Recruit
I have 2001 Monark 19.5 Commander. When ever I fill the boat with gasoline I get a sudden kick back of gas back thru the ventilation part of the gas filler assembly. This did not used to be a problem when I filled it myself and took my time. However My boat is now in a marina here in Florida and other people fill it for me. I tell them to go really slow but the never listen. I have had boat people look at it with no resolve. Anyone else have this problem or solution Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's not uncommon, it has to do with venting, boat angle, possibly baffles in the tank, filler neck and hose routing. You get a burp of air escaping through the filler neck instead of out the vent hose. The solution is to re-plumb the system for correct routing and venting.....or go slow.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
It's not uncommon, it has to do with venting, boat angle, possibly baffles in the tank, filler neck and hose routing. You get a burp of air escaping through the filler neck instead of out the vent hose. The solution is to re-plumb the system for correct routing and venting.....or go slow.
I agree....My 2000 Bayliner Capri had the same issue, fill slowly..stop and wait a few seconds and continue.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My larson does the same thing, move people to the bow and go slow... my marina is good about going slow.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I believe Atwood makes a check valve you can install in the vent line to prevent this. Every boat I've ever owned seems to do it.