Boat Cover Suggestions

Bullochdawg

Recruit
Just bought a Hurricane 188GS Deck boat. This is the first time owning an inboard.
There are no more covered slips available at the marina. The only other option is an uncovered slip. My wife is at the lake by herself most of the summer and she's not comfortable with taking the boat in and out every time she uses it...which is almost everyday.
I've been informed by our boat guy that you cannot leave an inboard boat uncovered. He says the rain water will pool in the engine compartment and trash the engine.
So, I'm looking at the option of buying a boat cover for it.
Can anyone recommend a good quality cover that will keep rain out? We have a cheap cover that came with the boat, but it is not good enough for this purpose, as it does not fit tightly and lets water pool in the cover. I'm looking for one that will have a tight fit, so rain will run off and protect the boat from the elements.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Those covers look more appropriate for a boat that's pulled out of the water after use, since they attach with straps that either go around the boat or attach to a trailer. What you want is a mooring cover. It attaches to the boat with snaps (or sometimes a drawstring that tightens below the rubrail. Ideally, you want something that fits very tightly, so water doesn't pool on top of the cover. Usually, the cover is fitted with poles to create peaks to further encourage water to run off.

I don't know if the "semi-custom" fit covers sold on many sites will work for this or not. You might be able to find one made exactly for your boat. (I'd check in with any Hurricane boat forums you can find.) Alternatively, you could have your local canvas shop make one for you. I'd choose a really durable fabric; Sunbrella would be my pick.

Does your boat currently have snaps screwed into the hull just above the rubrail? Generally, when you get a mooring cover, you have to install the snaps on the cover itself, and maybe on the boat (if it doesn't have them already). If you have a canvas shop or upholsterer do the cover for you, they usually will handle the snaps, too.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You don't say what year your boat is, if it is newer, you should be able to find several options for covers if so. If it is 10+ years old, you might have to settle for a generic fit cover and adapt it. A local canvas shop would be your best bet, unfortunately the most expensive.You might try a google search for covers for that make and model.

Bullochdawg

Recruit
Asked the National Online Chat folks about mooring covers. They said their semi-custom fitted covers are mooring covers as well and have a shock-cord elastic sewn in the hem and also have a webbing loops all the way around the cover.
Will do some more research.
Thanks for the info.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Have a mooring cover with snaps made for your boat. does it have an auto bilge pump? If not put one in.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
A custom cover is the ONLY way to go. Find a good custom boat cover maker, if you have existing snaps they will use as many as they can and probably add some more. For an 18 foot boat you should have 2 - 3 poles which as previously mentioned will make peaks so the water runs off.
On the cover I have wherever the poles engage the cover the guy used a type of plastic "pole socket" which doubles as a vent. Also see if the cover maker can use Top Notch fabric, it's made by fabric manufacturer in the US.

For an 18 foot boat a custom cover will likely cost you $850 - $1000 and your wife will love you all the more for have a super nice cover that is easy to install and remove. :kiss:

And even if you do have a water tight cover, as harleyman mentioned, install an automatic bilge pump if you don't have one.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
A custom cover is the ONLY way to go. Find a good custom boat cover maker, if you have existing snaps they will use as many as they can and probably add some more. For an 18 foot boat you should have 2 - 3 poles which as previously mentioned will make peaks so the water runs off.
On the cover I have wherever the poles engage the cover the guy used a type of plastic "pole socket" which doubles as a vent. Also see if the cover maker can use Top Notch fabric, it's made by fabric manufacturer in the US.

For an 18 foot boat a custom cover will likely cost you $850 - $1000 and your wife will love you all the more for have a super nice cover that is easy to install and remove. :kiss:

And even if you do have a water tight cover, as harleyman mentioned, install an automatic bilge pump if you don't have one.

+1 to that! There is nothing like a custom tailored snap cover made for your exact boat!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Asked the National Online Chat folks about mooring covers. They said their semi-custom fitted covers are mooring covers as well and have a shock-cord elastic sewn in the hem and also have a webbing loops all the way around the cover.
Will do some more research.
Thanks for the info.

That kind of cover won't stretch taut and it will collect puddles. You want a snap on cover that is drum-tight and has poles to create peaks that will cause water to run off, not pool on, your cover. For a 2002, you might be able to get a factory cover that is custom made for your boat. Talk to Hurricane, or other Hurricane owners, and I bet you can find one. I was able to find one or a '97 Larson...

fhhuber

Lieutenant
All covers will leak some... good ones don't leak much. But that leakage presents an issue which requires you to ensure there is airflow.

Give water that gets in and evaporates a chance to escape rather than turning the boat into a sauna, steaming the wood, providing ample moisture for mold, mildew and dry rot.
Some covers have allowances for ventilation, many do not. Ensuring good ventilation to remove excess moisture will help your boat last longer.

For puddle prevention nothing beats adding a "ridge pole" to support the cover like a tent, not leaving any flat or sagged area to turn into a pool. A couple of long canoe paddles (for small boats) or boat hooks lashed together with bungees and then supported on whatever is handy can go a long way to preventing pooling water on your cover and provide. Find something useful in other ways that can act as the ridge pole.