Buying first boat/ outside wear questions

crayolaboat

Recruit
I was looking into buying a 16 ft aluminum lund boat from a relative with a 15hp motor on it. Have been informed the trailer has had some work done to it. bottom dollar on it is $800 so I mean not too bad if I get burned but not trying to waste money. My main concern is it has been sitting outside uncovered for atleast 1 winter I'm aware in Minnesota as far as I know. I am also aware it was uncovered attached to a dock most of the summer last year so a decent amount of paint has rubbed off. I have rode in this boat before, last year, motor did fine but there were already some soft spots in the wood and carpet floor. I was pumped when I heard the offer but thinking about it sitting outside I'm starting to worry about any further damage it could have gotten by sitting outside this last winter. not sure if I have to worry about leaks, thinking ill probably have to redo the floor, but was looking for some opinions.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the floor is soft it will have to be replaced, also the is a good chance the wood in the transom will be bad; stringer could be wood or metal, if wood there is also a good chance they would also have to be replaced. In most cases the floor is the last piece of wood to show signs of water intrusion.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
How old is this boat?

The transom wood on the old ones (70's) seemed to last forever, did not rot.
The floor and transom can likely be replaced in a weekend on that boat.
Or, remove the floor and don't replace it.
Don't worry about the paint.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
#1 score for you....Lund boats are the #1 aluminum boats made in America. $800 for a 16ft Lund boat, motor and trailer is a deal. Replacing the floor on a aluminum boat is a piece of cake. Dock rash can be taken care of..Any Lund dealer will be able to give you the exact paint number. If the decals are bad you can still order new ones from the factory. When you are ready to dig into the boat, we are here to help you! 2 years ago I went to WI and purchased a 1988 Alumacraft Lunker 14, the people here were very helpful with my rehab...Please post pictures of your new boat...we all love pictures!