Boat pulls right/alittle hard to hold tiller straight,full throttle

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Lowe 1440 that I switched last year from a 15hp Johnson to a 1985 20hp Johnson.Both tiller and short shaft.I increased my speed a good bit and at full throttle it likes to pull right and is tiresome on the arm after a descent run.Is this normal due to speed increase?Was not sure if a tiller extension would work for me and help with this as far as easier on the arm or is there a way to help with the pulling.Could Weight distribution be an issue? I replaced the prop this year with a new one since the other was chipped up pretty good with no change in the pulling.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see changing weight location helping, changing to no feedback steering will

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Are you sure that the motor is mounted center on the hull. A motor mounted off center will cause this.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at images for 1985 20hp OMC..it looks like there is not a adjustable trim tab..plz send a picture of the lower unit of your motor. I have a 1999 15hp Merc, without a steering tension and I can steer it with 2 fingers. Make sure your motor is mounted on center.

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok-thanks..My lower unit is just like in the parts diagram.No torque tabs to adjust.

Alumarine

Captain
Then try moving the motor left or right on the transom to see if you can correct it.

harleyman1975

Ensign
there should be an adjustment pin that moves the motor closer to or farther away from the hull (i.e. trim) try moving lower unit farther away from the transom (trim it up).

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks ,motor is dead center on transom.Thos suggestions are next on my list to do.If it is pulling right should I move it left or right?Think I will try right first after adjusting trim up one peg hole.

Last edited: