Need help with boat ID

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother and I bought an old 14' aluminum boat adn home-made trailer for $50, but there isn't a data tag on the boat and we aren't sure what we bought.

Does anyone have any clues as to what the make, model and year of this boat
is?

The dimensions are;

Length - 13' 6"

Beam - 47.5"

Transom - 16.5"

Any help would be appreciated.

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It has Aluma Line on the side and the bow has AZ 305 stamped on it

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard: Post some pictures up when you can.

THIS topic might help out a bit. And this image:
Alumalinebb001.jpg

Comes from THIS site.

AZ might be the model and 302 might be the serial (as long as we're not looking at Arizona registration numbers).

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Perfect!

It would seem that I have a 1959 Aluma Line boat on my hands.

I was unsure what the actual weight rating was and what the HP limit was for the boat and this answered the question perfectly.

The task list for this boat includes replacing the seats and other wood, new foam, new hardware, repair a small hole near the bow, re-caulk the seams and find a motor for it.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the bow. It has a broken piece on one side and I'm not sure what to do about it.

20170424_170452.jpg

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question, though.

Do I need a long shaft or short shaft motor for it?

Despite the manufacturers tag saying it was 15", I measured the transom at 16.5".

jbcurt00

Staff member
Max rating 7.5hp and yep need a short shaft

Welcome to iboats.

pckeen

Commander
Perfect!

It would seem that I have a 1959 Aluma Line boat on my hands.

I was unsure what the actual weight rating was and what the HP limit was for the boat and this answered the question perfectly.

The task list for this boat includes replacing the seats and other wood, new foam, new hardware, repair a small hole near the bow, re-caulk the seams and find a motor for it.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the bow. It has a broken piece on one side and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I assume it is the bow cap that has the broken piece.

Three options. 1) Put a new rivet where the bow cap is solid to hold it in place. It'll function fine. 2) Remove the bow cap by drilling out the existing rivets, then cut the good and broken sides of the bow cap so they look the same, then rivet it back in place. Fill any rivet holes with 5200 then sand smooth. 3) Fabricate a piece of aluminum to fit where the broken piece was, 5200 over the gaps, sand smooth, then paint the bow cap.

Me? If this will be a user boat, I'd do option 1.

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is a different view of the bow cap. It's broken enough that I can't drill into the rail on that side from the top.

I may have to see about having a new cap fabricated somehow. I know enough people that I might be able to figure something out.

You can also see a small hole just under the bow cap and a crack in the side as well. The previous owner ran it into something while putting it on his trailer.

Attachments

• photo263555.jpg
    photo263555.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo263556.jpg
    photo263556.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1

pckeen

Commander
I see - you can certainly get one fabricated if you want - but you could make a wooden brace (or use aluminum piping) to make a triangle across the bow - say 6-12 inches back from the point on the bow. Then cut a piece of triangular sheet aluminum that was the same size as the triangle with the wood and metal on the bow of the boat and riveted it in place. If you search for the Naden rebuild thread, you'll see a picture of it.