Considering used purchase: Formula BR 280

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wanting to purchase a formula bow rider BR 280. I have a 1978 20 foot Sea Ray 260 hp open bow right now, and the limiting factor is 8 people. Makes it difficult when families with three kids want to go out with us. Need to know what engine combinations I should avoid, or look for. The boat is going to be used at Lake of the Ozarks in mid Missouri and other various lakes around mid America. I am leaning towards a single for ease of maintenance as I don't need the ability to go offshore and the redundancy of two engines for safety. Looks like the MerCruiser 496 mag HO @ 425 is what Im looking for? I've heard to avoid the 454 7.4 MPI? Love the idea of inexpensive parts for the 350, 5.7 small block.
Have seen prices range from anywhere to 20 K to 70 K. Thoughts, recommendations?

alldodge

Staff member
The boat weights 7300 dry, so geared out I would think along the line of 8300 to 8500 pounds. So it is a heavy boat, but all Formula's are built solid that way. While I would pass on a 454 or 7.4 carb motor (330 hp), I would not pass on the 454 MPI (385 hp) with this boat. Personally I would take the 454 over the 496 only because there are not that many 496 motors and they have more things that can go wrong. If you do go 496, get one that is newer then 2004 and serial number higher then [FONT=&quot]0W059999

I have a single engine Formula (500 hp), but would if having to do it all over again I would get twin 5.7[/FONT]

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why newer then '04 for the 496? What changed? Was that the change to HO? 375 to 425?

Why do you say go twin 5.7s?

alldodge

Staff member
Why newer then '04 for the 496? What changed? Was that the change to HO? 375 to 425?

The original 496 was the first few years of the design. Like all new designs they figure out what is not working and try to fix it. The salve solenoid was changed to the standard relay, fuel rail pressures were changed, sensor and ECM/PCM were changed with different coding, to compensate with issues found with previous coding. HP was increased but this had nothing to do with the performance issues that the first models. They still run, but more issues come from these models then others. There are many threads on OSO about the different models

Why do you say go twin 5.7s?

The old saying or there is no replacement for displacement. The more cubic inches you have the better the boat will preform. The original 280's did not have the option for 6.2's or 383's motors. There are only so many inches of surface area for a prop. The more surface area you have in a prop the more energy you can transfer power to it.

I have a 11000 pound single engine cruiser. Having 500 HP (at the prop, 530 HP at the crank) helps a lot getting the boat up, but having more prop blades in the water would allow me to achieve more hole shot and top end. Having one (B1) or two (B3) props is good, but increase that overall by 2 to 4 blades reduces your slip, even though increasing the amount of HP needed to turn them. When the weight increases over a certain area for a given hull size, so does the area needed to transmit that power efficiently to the water.

Just my opinions

tpenfield

Staff member
I would NOT (not) go with a single engine on the Formula 280 Bow Rider (or the Sun Sport) . . . Not even sure you can find a single engine 280, as they made mostly twins engine versions, I believe. As for a 496 CI / 425 HP . . . not sure you will find those.

EDIT: I did see a 2004 280 BR w/ single 496 engine . . . but it is sale pending :( . . . Probably a blessing in disguise

As for twin engine models:

DON'T get the 4.3's . . . it will be like a 'dog' on the water

GET the 5.7's

There are a few 5.0's, but I would avoid those as well

Some of the 280's have 7.4's . . . if you like to go wicked fast, then a 7.4 powered boat would be fine. Fuel burn will not be much more than the smaller engine boats.

The 7.4 engines are fairly bullet proof, I have the MPI versions. . . No issues there, except if you are a wrench turner, then you will want the engine analyzer software, which is a bit pricey.

Last edited:

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ted, I actually found a 280 BR with the 496 HO. I was actually considering it for lower maint but then would up in google rabbit holes?

Why do say blessing in disguise.

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, I actually found a 280 BR with the 496 HO. I was actually considering it for lower maint but then would up in google rabbit holes?

Why do say blessing in disguise.

Not sure what you mean with the Google comment :noidea:

The boat, being a 28 footer is really meant to have twin engines. In the early days of the 280's there were a few single engine models made with the 454's and then later on some with the 496 engines. They are compromises in my opinion.

It really relates to what AllDodge mentioned about 'more props in the water' . Twin engines will be an entirely different ride than the single engine, and so much better. The boat will get up on plane effortlessly and ride like it is on rails through the chop, even will a full crew of people on board. You mentioned the need to take out larger groups of people, and a single engine 280 is just not going to do that very well as compared to a twin engine. You will be able to balance the boat with the engines alone and not even need to use trim tabs.

There are many more twin engine 280's than single engines and there is good reason for that. While you may have less maintenance in terms of having one engine to take care of, you will be trading off performance and re-sale value.

The 27-28 foot range is typically where you start to need twin engines, and horsepower alone does not make for good performance. So, if you are going through the effort to get a bigger boat to handle a bigger crew, you might as well get something that will really be up to the task. Just my advice . . .

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ted, thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for.

With reguards to Google, I just meant that I couldn't find any good feedback positive or negative.

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for.

With reguards to Google, I just meant that I couldn't find any good feedback positive or negative.

OK, got it. maybe over on the OSO (offshoreonly) forum, there might be a few comments.