Fuel Gauge/ sending unit

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, not sure what else to do? I have a '95 Capri, 1700 LS. Nice boat for what I do and runs great. Owned for 4 years, my 3rd boat.
The fuel gauge does not work. I installed a new sending unit last year and that didn't fix it. I just purchased a new gauge which I'll install this week.

Q: If it still does not work - what else could it be?

Regards, Dave

tpenfield

Staff member
Hi, not sure what else to do? I have a '95 Capri, 1700 LS. Nice boat for what I do and runs great. Owned for 4 years, my 3rd boat.
The fuel gauge does not work. I installed a new sending unit last year and that didn't fix it. I just purchased a new gauge which I'll install this week.

Q: If it still does not work - what else could it be?

Regards, Dave

Wiring . . .

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
​I figured if it is that's the one part I'm not that good with. I'll know later this week.
TY, Dave

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The new sender you installed must be have the same resistance value as your old one. And vice versa for the new gauge.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The sender has two connections. One is for the sender wire to the gauge. The other connection is to ground. The gauge has three connections. Ground, Switched +12VDC and the sender wire. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Most senders have the same resistance value, so it is likely your gauge and sender are compatable.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the help. I was able to purchase the exact same gauge, 3 pin - it's identical to the original. I'll know this weekend once I get a chance to do the work. I'll also play around with the wires, ground and so on if I can't get the gauge to move.
​Thanks again, Dave

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
As you are finding out, shotgunning any problem is not the way to get things fixed. Just because you are not versed in electrical wiring does not mean you should spend money on other stuff "hoping" it fixes the problem. 1) If you overtightened the nut securing the send wire to the sender you may have spun the stud and damaged the new sender. If you don't have a multi-tester (Volt-Ohm-Milliammeter -- or a test light) then troubleshooting electrical systems leaves you no option other than luck at finding problems. Here is a step by step troubleshooting process: 1) Disconnect the send wire (usually pink) at the sender. Measure the resistance from the post to the shell of the sender. If it measures infinity (open circuit) or anything other than 30 - 240 ohms, the sender is bad. The resistance noted will depend on how much fuel is in the tank. 2) If the resistance measurement is acceptable, then make sure there is continuity (a good connection) between the shell of the sender and ground (negative terminal of the battery). If not, fix it. 3) With the pink wire still disconnected, check continuity of the pink wire from the tank end to the "S" terminal of the gauge. Yes -- you will likely need to extend the tester lead using another piece of wire. If the wire checks open, fix it. 4) Turn the key to ON and jumper the "S" terminal at the gauge to the GROUND terminal on the gauge. The gauge should peg FULL. If not, the gauge does not have +12 volts on the +12 volt terminal or the ground terminal does not have a good ground the gauge cannot work. Normally +12 volts and ground are simply jumpered (daisy chained) from one gauge to the next. You have not mentioned if all of the other gauges work.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Yes thank you - you're right and I've only accomplished spending about $150.00 so far on two senders and now a gauge. Everything else works, tac, horn, lights, all switches and controls and a depth finder I installed 4 years ago, also tilt/trim which leads me to believe the electrical on the boat is in good shape.

If a new gauge doesn't do it I'll purchase a multi-tester.
**** I don't know how to use them, but I'll ask .
Thx again Dave

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Just because everything else works does not mean the electrical is "good" as you say. The gauge needs +12 volts, ground and a good connection to the post on the sender. The sender also needs a good ground. A bad connection anywhere kills the system but everything else goes on its way working just fine.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
I tend to think it was a bad ground connection. The new gauge works but I noticed a missing connection from the old gauge, which would of been a 50cent fix. A little disappointed had I understood electrical better, I have about $150.00 into the job all together.
​I'll ask questions next time before spending aimlessly.
Thank you,