Pro Line 2950

Triple502

Seaman
Currently I own a large cruiser with stern drives. After buying this RV on the water and having it for a year, I have decided I want to go in another direction. I like the Pro Line 2950. It looks more suited for my needs; fishing and an occasional cruise around the Patuxent River and the Chesapeake Bay and won't break the bank. . Most appear to come with either large outboards or stern drives. I did find one with V drives. Does anyone have any knowledge of the performance of these boats with the V drives? The boat is a 1993 and it appears Pro Line didn't do this for very long. From the limited resources I found it didn't look like it was very popular with the buyers. I can get this boat for a decent price but not sure about the powertrain. It has Mercruiser inboards (not sure if small or big blocks). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'd stay away from v-drives. No personal experience, but they're more complicated than a straight inboard. The transmission sits beneath the motor instead of behind it, so you have to pull the motor for repairs to the tranny. Looking at 20 year old boats, my order of preference would be 'straight' inboard first, outboards second, I/O's third and v-drives last.

My .02