1976 bayliner 17' gas tank size and location

Mikecal

Recruit
So i recently started to go through a boat that has had some modifications, and can't seem to find the optimal setup up.

I have a 17 foot 1976 bayliner with a 115 mercury tower of power 2 stroke outboard engine. The rear has been modified for a bench with a two batter setup up, however only the left is there and cables for it, and the tank is in the middle 3 gallons. Behind the bench where the gas filler comes in there is a ton of unused space. I can't tell it the original tank went there or under. The floor was re done with fiber glass by the previous owner.

The manuals for this year are very vague. I'm afraid that putting a big tank 12 Gallons at least in the back will add to much weight

Recommendations and can anyone tell me what was the original setup ??

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
3gal? That's tiny. 12gal is not that much, either, IMO, but could suffice if your trips are always short, and perhaps if you stow a 5 or 6 gal jerry can, too. Especially if there's a place to stow the extra fuel forward somewhere to help balance weight.

I don't know what your original setup was, but I'd want a 20gal minimum under deck tank, right on or just forward of center of gravity.

southkogs

Staff member
My suggestion would be to start by buying a 6 gallon outboard fuel tank. Two if ya' wanna. And see how they work. Back in the 70s, most outboard boats would have been designed with space in the back for 1 - 2 of those tanks. 12 gallons isn't gonna' bother the boat, and it's easy to switch tanks.

Loading a 20 or 30 gallon tank is probably possible, but may be more work than it's worth. Remember that your fuel is part of your max capacity.

Welcome aboard.

Mikecal

Recruit
Thanks for the responses. Yea I know 3 gal ain't much. I guessed the tank was under the deck but smdidnt want to tear into it the fiber glass floor they did. The motor is already pretty heavy and there is a high empty spot in the back I guess I can try it and see. 20 gal would be nice. But would have to take that back bench out. For some reason they though they could seat 6 people in a 1015 capacity boat

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried the Bayliner or Bayliner Owners Websites? You can put in your BIN# and it will give the specs on your boat. If yours is a Capri; it probably had a 20-25 gallon tank in the floor. Also last time I priced a 6 gallon tank; it was $50.