Still searching for 1st boat/"- opinion needed on 97 Thompson

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Hey again guys-
After being turned off of 2 boats by you guys for various reasons, we're still searching.

Wondering your thoughts on 1997 Thompson 2600
Approx 300 hours, full camp enclosure, 2 biMinis and cockpit cover Also snap in carpet.
Asking 13k.
5.7L w Merc OD.
Idk much about boats so I'm wondering how quaility and such is. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
2 biminis? Corrected.... the other spelling w the K can get a fella in hot water w the Admrial....

Pay for a marine survey, its a 20yr old boat. Its probably been slipped most (all?) of its past life.

As has probably been mentioned in your other boat pursuit topics:
Condition condition condition

Good lcuk w the hunt.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A friend of mine had a 30' Thompson, with twin 305 CID Mercruisers, of about that year,or maybe older. I thought the boat had good quality, but like most boats of her size and complexity, there is always some maintenance or repair to do. Hope you are planning on that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Condition....condition....condition. A boat that is 20 years old is more about condition and maintenance than brand. As JB mentioned, get a survey

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Absolutely planning a survey and sea test. More wondering if there are common issues w these boats that I should look for. Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
I think that (1997) was the last year for Thompson boats . . .

Kind of middle of the road quality, but when a boat company goes out of business you have to wonder. $13K sounds like crazy money for that boat . . . but . . . the boat looks to be in good condition . . . so maybe $10K :noidea:

20 year old boats are going to be a crap shoot, and the original quality does not mean all that much.

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
I think that (1997) was the last year for Thompson boats . . .

Kind of middle of the road quality, but when a boat company goes out of business you have to wonder. $13K sounds like crazy money for that boat . . . but . . . the boat looks to be in good condition . . . so maybe $10K :noidea:

20 year old boats are going to be a crap shoot, and the original quality does not mean all that much.

Nada price shows almost 10,6-12,1k w Bimini, bridge enclosure, cockpit cover and trailer. W low hours and good shape what wouldnta think?

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Well I have terrible luck.

I just talked to my surveyor and he said he wouldn't even go look. He had a Thompson and had several friends and surveys over the years, and they're all junk. He highly advised against it. So, back to the drawing board. Lol

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Might be good luck......
Very well could be. Between this forum and the surveyor, I've stayed away from 3 boats that would probably have been issue-packed.
I didn't think it'd be so hard to find something in this price range, but the search continues. Possibly looking at a 96' Rinker 265 now. We shall see...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you are looking at a mid 20s footer, and a single screw, try to get a big block motor. The 305 - 350CID motors in the 26 footers are very common and are dogs, IMO.