Weak sounding, weak trim

lowbudget73

Recruit
I'm a rookie boat owner so I needed a little help. My boat has an 82 mercury 115 and yesterday I was on the water and out of nowhere my tilt/trim pretty much quit on me. It barely raised the motor to get out of the water and sounds like its running on a dead battery but the battery is fully charged. Today I lowered it to see and it sounds almost dead going down and I have a little hydraulic oil on the ground. I'm not even sure exactly how a trim works so I'm really hoping for helpful info. Thanks in advance

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

It sounds like enough juice has leaked out so the pump can't make the needed pressure. You might get away for a short time by adding fluid. I think you motor has two trim/tilt cylinders, one on each side if the clamp bracket. The cylinders have rebuild kits.

Take a look at the parts diagrams for your motor, because there are several types of trim/tilt systems used - http://www.iboats.com/MERCURY-115-6...961790--session_id.881379460--view_id.1702136

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would also check your electrical connections. Look for corroded connectors and perhaps rottted wiring. The wiring can rot under the insulation, so look for bulges in the insulation.

If you have the PTT unit GA describes, most of the issues are leaks around the trim rod.