Bilge Drain Question

Pusher

Lieutenant
On my aluminum boats the wood part of the transom is 3" - 4" above the hull with the drain plug between the transom and the hull.
Even with a lot of water in the bilge it won't touch the wood.
Doesn't help if water gets and stays above that though.

Interesting! So did they build up the fiberglass below the transom so the drain plug had something to sit in? I can't picture how a conventional setup would work as they are about 1 1/2" long. Or is yours the garboard plug style?

Pusher

Lieutenant
Oh right, you said aluminum boat, so it must be the garboard?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Every aluminum boat I ever owned had only a single layer of metal at the bottom of the transom, just like Marc described. ALL had transom plugs. The area was flanged to fit the full length of the plug.

Every wood boat I ever owned had a Garboard plug on the bottom. The plug was only a few inched from the transom and almost in the center, so it drained the hull completely dry. It still required the boat to be tilted up at the bow, but not nearly as high.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Took me a while to find my pics. Here is a brass plug instaklled in the Garboard plank. Note the access hole thru the floorboard. The other is a tinny with no wood on the transom bottom. Note the flange.

IMG_3144web.jpg IMG_3143web.jpg